symphonic band pieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fels, Nov 15, 2009.

1. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I play in an adult community band - very good overall skill level. I am looking for high intermediate or advanced pieces (college level) to add to our library and play list. Suggestions and sources?

I am also looking for solid arrangements for jazz band - again names and sources.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London
  3. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    You can never go wrong with some Alfred Reed. Holst is good too.

4. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
  5. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

For the community band, I'll second RB's suggestion of Reed and Holst, and add in Eric Whitacre. A lot of Whitacre's music is very simple but fantastic when played well, but he also writes very intricate and difficult music as well. If you have a good oboe player, then October (by Whitacre) would be great. I played it in my high school's band, and it can be played well at a lower level but it really shines when played by good musicians. I don't know sources very well, so I can't give you a website for that stuff.

For jazz band (standard arrangement, assuming), places like Sierra Music, JWPepper, and others I can't think of off the top of my head are all on the internet. Stuff arranged by Bob Curnow and Sammy Nestico is bound to be good.