Systematic Approach to Daily Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by seilogramp, Mar 6, 2010.

1. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Thought I'd give this method a look-see. I have not started it yet. One thing that Claude Gordon stresses, "It is absolutely essential that you practice these routines in the prescribed manner." So my question is, if I were to try the Systematic Approach, would I play anything else? The first lesson (repeated daily for at least 7 days) is long tones down to your lowest pedal tone, rest 15 minutes, long tones up to your highest note, then rest at least one hour. OK, then what? I'm not sure how I would work this into the rest of my playing day. :dontknow:

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Whenever I'm using this method, I always use that first section as a warm up, wait an hour before my next session. I also only use it every other day. This approach has worked well for me - my college teacher helped me work out this schedule. This method really helps make everything I play more solid, but it sure can be tiring, and it doesn't sound great. The part of it that I've found really helps is going just a little beyond your limits each day in both upper and lower range and breathing. Pretty soon those limits expand, and everything you could play before becomes more secure.

3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    FWIW:
    Everyone is different with the results to pedal tones. I used this SADP back when I was in the Air Force Band years ago.I went through 30-40 weeks of it. We were playing so much back then, that the routines in the book became impractical for me.

As you get into the book further, other books are incorporated into the routine, such as Colin's, St. Jacome, etc. A friend of mine in the AF Band was taking lessons from Doc Reinhardt, and frowned upon the pedal tone routine. I, on the other hand, studied with a teacher that was a student of Caruso. After many discussions about playing the trumpet with him,almost like free lessons with Reinhardt, I strayed away from the pedal tone thing.

2010: I use the Stamp Warm Ups, Caruso, concepts from Gordon on Clarke's Tech Studies,etc. The Stamp only goes to the first pedal C, and I feel that it keeps my chops more focused, still having the benefits of doing the pedals. I did get results from Gordon's info, and you can always take things that work for you from it, and build your own routine like many others have.

4. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    So in reality this book is not an all-encompassing method on daily practice. You have to work it in somehow to your other playing. I would assume, for example, that after playing long tones up to my highest possible note (currently around E above high C) that I would not want to later break out the Colin lip trilling to E above high C. I should try avoid high playing for the rest of the day?

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I use the Colin on alternate days. I wouldn't avoid high range - what I usually do is 3-4 sessions in a day - 1st warm up, then technical drills, etudes or ensemble music, and changes. Of course, what I practice has a lot to do with what rehearsals I might have for the day or what I might need the most work on. Some days my schedule means I get fewer practice sessions in for the day, but I can usually count on at least two. This schedule works for me, but you'll have to work out your own - we are all a little different. I never use the other materials in the order suggested in the book, though - I only use his beginning section as a warm up. I'll spend 2 weeks with a section used every other day, then move on to the next. Like I said, though, this was the method I found most useful to me after working with my college teacher - you may find a way that works better for you.

6. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I don't have my assignment sheet with me, so I might not be exact, but the assignments for this week look something like:
    1. Colin #5,6,15,16
    2. Arban pg 125
    3. Clark #2 with etude
    4. St. Jacome, some scale type of exersize, c major this week with a different model each day - I don't remember the page.
    5. Arban pg 38 and 39 I think.
    6 'other music'
    7. SA # 10.

I may or may not have missed anything, but that gives you an idea.

At other times, daily trumpet routines or other books come in to play.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree with this method as it is simply how humans tick. We are creatures of habit and systematic approaches build habits. I divide practice sessions into 3 parts:

Long tones, slurs, scales
    repertory
    technical exercizes

Always in that order. Music deserves fresh chops and brain. That is not what is left after an hour of technical studies.

Repertory is variable in my practice. The rest is "systematic.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Why do you start with long tones?
    I like to start with Clark, Do you think I would do better with the long tones first?