Systematic Approach

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jfrancis, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    All,

Just curious. I have flirted every year, for years, of doing Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach for a year. Has anyone completed this study? Would you recommend? What are the benefits?

I am looking at a maintence type year in my playing. No big things to memorize, etc. This would be a good time to do it. So please let me know.

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Systematic approach encompasses more than is in that book. Clarke's, Arban's, Colins's, St. Jacome's, and many others including daily trumpet routines, are also companion materials. There is a whole forum devoted to CG where systematic approach is a main topic over on trumpet herald, and one fellow has systematic approach.com where he records his progress.

It's intended to be well rounded using all of these materials. I would not recommend systematic approach all by itself, either do the prescribed exercises outside the book, or have a teacher guide you... At the very least, make sure you are rounding out your routine with other types of work...

3. pbenn2112

pbenn2112 New Friend

Dec 6, 2010
    I've tried it a bit myself. I think it is a very valuable resource when used with the other books. I have trouble using this system because it does take a hefty amount of daily practice. As a middle school band director, I'm not able to devote that much daily time yet. I'm planning on beginning it again over the summer when I have much more time.

4. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    +1 you are exactly right

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I'll mark it on my calendar.

6. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Yeah, looks it. I was planning on going ahead with the prescribed materials in the book. Thanks for the comments.

7. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Don't let it happen again or we will come to expect it from you. ROFL

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I have tried a systematic approach. It turns out to be a scheduling nightmare. I will probably return to it in a couple years when my life isn't so hectic, for now I just grab practice time whenever I can.

9. TRUMPETSIZZLE

TRUMPETSIZZLE New Friend

Nov 21, 2010
    John,

I actually went through the entire thing 3 times when I was younger. Now, I only use a very small portion in my upper register program and I will tell you what i use:
    I do the pedals and the ascending arppegios in lesson two and that is it.
    BUT, there is a right way and a wrong way to use these and you need to incorporate the pedals the ascending notes in the right way and not necessarily every day to get great results.
    I also take a microscopic approach and have made a few of my own techniques out of Gordon's that are more potent and efficient saving you time, but with better results.....That particular technique is just one of more than 50 I teach in my Guaranteed Upper Register Program.

P.S. Gordon's systematic approach is quite a time alligator usually taking me 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do one lesson correctly.....which i no longer do as he prescribes.
    http://www.trumpetsizzle.com

10. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    OK! Wow thanks for the comments. I am doing this, starting today. I will be blogging the slogging through the book.

Go to my website . . . www.churchbrass.com and visit "John's Blog" to find out blow by blow how this is going.