Systematic improvement

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by resonator, Jan 13, 2006.

1. resonator

resonator New Friend

Jan 7, 2006
    College auditions are coming and im looking for ways to enhance my playing by early march. What are some ways to systematically improve various aspects of trumpet playing? For example, flexibility, endurance, sound,speed, etc. I need real consistent improvement overall. Thanks

2. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Someone's going to say it, so I will - PRACTICE!

Can't wait for Ed's plan!

3. resonator

resonator New Friend

Jan 7, 2006
    Yea thats the point. The question is WHAT to practice.

4. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
  5. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Res,

Please don't feel that I'm dodging your question, but it's simply impossible to recommend materials for you to work on without hearing you play to determine your needs. Every musician/trumpet player is marvelously unique and there is no "one size fits all" methodology (if someone suggests otherwise thank them and pay absolutely no attention).

Trumpet technique might be described as a subtle balance of flow, focus, and flexibility across the entire register and applied to a wide range of dynamics. Furthermore, the exercises that you practice are a means to an end (music), not an end themselves.

What does your teacher suggest?

Watching here,
    EC

6. resonator

resonator New Friend

Jan 7, 2006
    My teacher suggest working on breath attacks, and fundamentals. Most our lessons are about excerps right now, even though he says to dedicate more time to fundamentals.

7. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Res,

Then spend the majority of your time on your fundamentals (most your age should). Breath attacks are good to stimulate speed/flow at the point of attack.

A small hint from somebody who listens to countless auditions: the health of your basic technique, not your interpretation of Mahler, is what will get you into a good music school. We search for students that we can easily build (no reconstruction projects during a degree, please) and who have the right attitude about hard work and imaginative music making.

Where are you auditioning?

Best,
    EC

8. resonator

resonator New Friend

Jan 7, 2006
    How can you tell that person is somebody you can easily build, has right attitude and imagination? Just by their fundamentals? Can you go into more detail about what you look for? THanks

9. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Res,

My auditions are a bit different than others...usually about 10 minutes of playing and 20 minutes of interview/getting to know one another.

Your ability to play (or not) is quickly heard. The rest is far more revealing. Think about who you are why you're auditioning for that particular school.

EC