Taken by a keyboard

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TisEkard, Jul 7, 2007.

1. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    I was just watching Live Earth and was blown away not only by how terrible some of these band were, but also that a lot of the horn parts are played by a guy on a keyboard. Same with some broadway shows I have seen, the string players are all cut and replaced with one guy on a keyboard. What do you guys think about this. Whats next?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What is next is the same as with the standard and latin dance competitions - no more bands, everything from CD. Perfectly reproducable, consistent, no clams - they just haven't figured out what to do with the conductor yet..........

I have yet to see the unions blacklist a show because brass parts were played by a keyboard! I wonder if the composers approve of the rearrangement?

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Often times the conductor is also playing a keyboard part. Kind of lame, but at least he can't give you the hand!

4. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    What's next? I think there'll still be a spot for live musicians in the future...it's just gigs will be very limited. At least that's what I think...the people who are very rich will still want to hear live musicians. Nothing can replace them - not even that trumpet-playing robot.

5. nickcapstaff

nickcapstaff New Friend

Apr 23, 2007
    what's next? Learn a keyboard as well as a trumpet? (Shrugs shoulders) - if ya can't beat them...!

6. JunkyT

JunkyT Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Didn't the NYC pit musicians strike a couple years ago because of this? I don't remember what the outcome was...

While there will be less and less jobs because of this, there will always be jobs for musicians...we just need to be even more at the top of our game than ever before!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey everybody, there is HOPE out there!
    A buddy of mine works at the ING Bank here in Germany and they have started up a bank band! 3 Saxes, a clarinet, 2 guitars, bass, drums, 2 keyboards and a couple of singers. They got a coach to write arrangements and rehearse with them. They did not sound bad! Maybe a return of the factory band?

8. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    That's awesome! Maybe something like that could happen over here...

9. johnmarkpainter

johnmarkpainter Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I do it....part of my recurring work is doing Filmscore using lots of samples. I include as much live instrumentation as I can because it always sounds better.

I have also created performance tracks to be used for stage productions (they were in locations where you could not put together a decent Orchestra even if you could afford to).

The clients DO NOTICE how good the real thing sounds.
    They generally want to have as many live players as they can afford.

jmp

10. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Just a further example of of the extreme and irreversible decline of civilization in our era.

Michael McLaughlin