Taken by a keyboard

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TisEkard, Jul 7, 2007.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I am thankful for the many local community concert bands that I can choose to play with.

OLDLOU>>

2. Shermy

Shermy Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Hey Robin,

The company I work for has a big band with players to spare. It's a lot of fun. There is actually quite a bit of talent!

3. Shermy

Shermy Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    We recently bought a DVD for my son called "Meet The Orchestra". It's a Baby Einstein Disney production. It goes through all the instrument families in the orchestra including piano and guitar. Get this - EVERYTHING IS SYNTHESIZED!! Even Disney can't fork over a few more bucks for someone to play a 30 second track on a DVD.

4. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    That just shows that even if they have money, they dont want to spend it on musicians because they dont have to. It is a shame.

5. johnmarkpainter

johnmarkpainter Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    it is likely because they don't want to pay royalties (special payments fund) and their budgets aren't that high.

I'm not being an apologist for Disney or anything...
    but a someone that has made these projects before you have to consider how much it really costs.

On an average session the players are making over $100 an hour
    so is the engineer...the studio is $2k per day. Charts are about $1k to $3k per song.
    Plus the composer has to get paid.

You just aren't going to get a $100k-$200k budget for music for a kids video.
    more like $5k-$30k for everything.

On a positive note, watch a show called "The Wonderpets"
    Great music, full orchestra.

6. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I think civilization has always been in decline - it's nothing new. People just seek out the cheapest alternative, unless they truly support and adore great musicians working at their trade. Also, I think it is interesting to see the development of today's current 'pop' music versus the 'pop' music that existed centuries ago. Sure, there were Beethoven and Bach - but what about the countless folk singers that no one ever heard of or will hear of? I'm sure it was just as hard to get a job when orchestra music was 'popular' as it is today - or any other ensemble variation. It's just that the circumstances are different.

7. OdieLopez3

OdieLopez3 New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    Yeah I know how most of you feel thats why I've been arranging and composing some songs for this group we're starting up. Its alot of Latin Pop, Salsa, Jazz & Tejano stuff. No keyboard for this trying to keep it real how its suppose to be. So hopefully it all works out.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    John,
    this is an interesting take, but Disney has been exploiting kids young and old for a long time. The right way is to have school bands send audition tapes and have them come play free on some weekend - great press for Disney and exposure for the band. 5-30K for everything!
    The marketing people just didn't think of it. Idiots!

9. Shermy

Shermy Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    WOW Robin, again, you astound me with your wisdom!!

The great thing that would work on this one is they already have young kids in the cast that are "playing" the instruments. It's just dubbed over with a crappy synthesizer.

I'm not sure on this, but it seems when I was going through college, you could get a summer job at Disney Land or Disney World as a musician. I think you had to be pretty darn good too. Do they still do that or have they replaced them with keyboards too? I haven't been to Disney Land or Disney World in decades. I'm sure any one of those kids would die for a chance to be on something like that!