Taking a breath

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fuzzyhaze, Feb 25, 2012.

1. diego

diego New Friend

Jan 25, 2012
    Well, sometimes you have to dance too :)
    Of corse it depends of what you play ;)

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I respect that, but I would still invite you to come to UF and ask them what they teach for yourself, and then you would see a case where nose breathing is considered highly correct, because it moisturises and filters the air, even if it is not the only way.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. diego

diego New Friend

Jan 25, 2012
    Some singers, especially those that attended to schools, also sign trough the nose. I don't know if it's correct or not. I don't like.

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Fair enough. I'd love to visit there, but financially, it probably wouldn't happen. I'd be open-minded to their information at least. But I do feel very strongly that the breathing techniques I advocate are generally the orthodox and "Old-School" established approach. I'm extremely wary of new-fangled methods.

.....To address my original point further....if I'm taking a breath while playing, and inhale through the nose, then to play, I have to close off my nasal passage, whereas if I inhale through the mouth, I'm already set up to play, and I can spend more time and effort setting up to produce my first note.

And, as far as I and a lot of people are concerned, even if I'm here with my HEPA filter, I just don't have the kind of sinuses that can be used to inhale for playing/singing.

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Isn't that called humming? I do that too sometimes.

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I am thinking about conducting a " nose inhalation " clinic for trumpet players. I discuss how not to snort during a performance as well as highly proper nasal cleansing to avoid sucking in natural nasal obstructions ( boogers ). I hope to have my clinic online in a skype format for a real time Q/A period. I'll start off accepting PayPal but expect to incorporate Visa/MC/Discover/AMEX/Diners Club after the first few lessons.

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    I hope there will be info on 'nose hairs-short, long, trimmed, or plucked' and recommendations that will spare us from "nose hair clipper safari's."

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi John,
    I got this tip from Armondo Ghitalla personally. He was a pretty good orchestral player. He said that we should breathe when we can like smelling a beautiful rose - savor the odor. Gil Johnson also mentioned this to me as did Dan Patrylak at Eastman. I don't think that it is safe to say "most" any type of player.

Looking at the orchestral scene, quite a bit has changed in the last 50 years. In the old days, I think that there was more "school" in the act of playing. Today, we have the luxury of thousands more auditioning and can pick the "naturally talented" instead of the next designated. The naturally talented have a different path. Many of the naturally talented never make it to retirement either - they decide on a solo career after an orchestra stint.

What I am saying is that the naturally talented can get away with more. The rest of us need a different plan. I am offering something safe, that works and offers additional benefits.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  9. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    I am a fan of nose breathing when the situation allows for it, or requires it. It results in less drying of the mouth, and less disturbance of the embouchure. I will therefore often nose breathe when I have plenty of time in which to get a nice relaxed breath before an entrance. I will also, conversely, nose breathe if I only have a quaver rest to get a breath, for instance. Longer rests I will breathe through my mouth if I do not think that I can get a deep enough and relaxed enough breath nose breathing.

The noise made by nose breathing somehow making it less desirable is not a good argument, in my opinion. I have several recordings where I can hear the soloist taking a deep mouth breath. Does it detract from the performance? Not even slightly.

10. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    There's quite a difference between the natural, deep sound of a mouth breath, and the "Sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffff" sound of a nose breath (especially if the nasal cavity does that "whistling" thing). When I was a broadcast engineer, when preparing commercial spots, I would remove all breathing sounds. It sounded good for spoken announcers accompanied by a music bed, but if one tried it on a musical performance, it sounded...not-so-good. For music, you, to a point, WANT to hear breaths being taken. It's part of the music and natural...."the big sniff" on the other hand.............