Taking a breath

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fuzzyhaze, Feb 25, 2012.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    When I was doing triathlon training my trainer encouraged me to breathe through my nose only (for the cycle and run legs) in order to build up my efficiency and endurance. He said using your mouth to breathe is really an emergency method and not one you should normally use for that reason.

I think the parallels with trumpet-playing are obvious.

--bumblebee

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The consummate trumpeter needs it all! Why are we even discussing this? Want to bet after a couple of weeks that we even need to think about it? This is not like an embouchure change, fast double tonguing, or making you stand and sit up straight. The body has a lot of practice breathing through the nose!

An additional use case? Circular breathe without the nose. Obviously even in a tough situation like this it can work.

Try it - you'll like it!

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Whatever works for you is the best, for you

kingtrumpet likes this.
  4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That was the argument I was going to use, but you beat me to it. We breathe, therefore we play.

NOSE BREATHERS UNITE! :play::lol:

Turtle

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Infants are nose breathers, maybe we forgot something they (and we use to) know.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Really?? This is what you do ALL the time you are playing (and not playing). Thank the Great Creator for designing a function in a rationalizing species that is instinctive, automatic, controlled by the "involuntary" nervous system, for if it were not, we'd all be dead!

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    They also poop and pee in their pants....and drool on everything....and throw up on people's shoulders.....and they're not usually the best trumpet players.

All you Medical gentlemen are focusing on the obvious benefits and necessity of the warming/filtering action of the sinus/nasal system...citing that it's natural, and of course it is. But it's also perfectly natural to inhale air through the mouth in certain instances. When threatened or when there is certain danger, and a person needs to yell for help, or warning, or defense, or even when having an argument, are they nose inhaling? Not very often.
    And, one of you said that a doctor advise that when running, the warming, filtering nose to breathe through, but how many people do just that? Almost none, I'd say. I used to be able to do it when I was a kid, but it took a lot of training, and was NOT "natural".
    And, when someone dives underwater or even swimming, who inhales through the nose? ...That's nearly always inhaled by mouth.

OF COURSE we are not talking about mouth breathing all the time!

But trumpet playing is not 'all the time.'

Oh....just for kicks, I tried nose inhalation last night, while I practiced......it was reeeally dumb. It is NOT proper for trumpet playing. Period.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Here is a little experiment we can all try.
    Take in a breath through the mouth. (Bud Herseth cites using an empty toilet paper roll for taking in the proper breath).
    Next, take in another mouth breath and HOLD YOUR NOSE. Feels a bit constricted, doesn't it? Even when taking a breath with the mouth, the nose is still involved in the intake. That is one reason why having a cold can make breathing for trumpet playing difficult. Sneaking a breath in through the nose is often required. I've watched great players do so and it will also help prevent that little sound of breath intake which occasionally gets captured during recording.
    RT

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I've also noticed adult trumpet players doing this when trying to play high note... Ahhh, KT, you want to give your testimonial at this point?

Brad-K, you are missing an important point, nose breathing is instinctive, it's a selective survival instinct. Sure you can breathe through your mouth, less resistance, quick source of air, another good breathing option, but do not also forgo the instinctive techniques that guarantee our survival as a species.

10. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Why the toilet paper roll?

Hmm...even after some thought I'm pretty certain I can say that I only inhale through the mouth (when playing or singing) When I take in a breath as if to sing or play, and I plug my nose, it feels exactly the way it always does.

I'm just getting over a cold now. I'd have to say that not being able to nasally inhale when not playing, kind of creates a bit of an oxygen deficit overall.
    And speaking for myself, I've had extraneous mucus oozing down my throat for half a week...That, and just feeling crappy overall imo, is what make me put the horn back in it's case....not to mention, that's just gross to play while infected.

And now that you mention it...and while I'm being honest, there might be something to what you say, if it means sneaking just a nip of air through the nose, just to get through the passage. Just a little bit wouldn't make much noise....nothing like the "When there's time"-big, full-lung air draw, which usually is very audible.

And again....there's no shame in an audible mouth inhale...it's quite musical, natural, and even necessary. A big long, loud nasal inhale is not.