Taking a breath

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fuzzyhaze, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Yeah, I knew I was leaving that one open....I just thought it would be turned back at myself.;-)

And, thank you. You've identified what I'm trying to say.

Basic Intermediate School (notice I don't say "Middle School") Anatomy.....(normal) Breathing is Involuntary. Trumpet playing, and therefore breathing techniques for trumpet playing is Voluntary.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I will use the Voluntary breathing techniques taught to me by Mr. Seagull, Ms Jan King, and Mr. Simmons, and all the authors of all the books I've read, to perform the Voluntary acts of singing and trumpet playing.

[Edit] Oh and, thank you. Hopefully my Involuntary systems won't crap out on me. It would be a bloody drag to have to remember to breathe 24 hours a day.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Isn't there a joke about this, where a brunette jogging with headphones collapses and dies when the headphones fall from his ears, and the ambulance man only hears the words "breathe in... breathe out... breathe in... breathe out..." when he checks what was playing? I don't think the joke differentiated between mouth and nose though.

--bumblebee

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    if your nose makes that much noise, you need lessons. As far as trying it out once, that is pretty dumb. It would have even been more ridiculous if instant success had been claimed. Habits are made with hundreds to thousands of repetitions.

Forget that I said anything. Secrets shouldn't be spread around anyway.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    The reason, it seems, to advocate mouth breathing is to get a lot of air. Some people think you need a lot of air and air is the secret to trumpet playing. Got sound issues, more air, embouchure, air can fix that and so it goes. I am not sure I believe that. The best trumpet player I know has serious asthma-lung injury problems and cannot take the big breaths some say is necessary yet that player has a sound and range ( up to DHC) we can only dream about. The player teaches efficient use of air rather than volume. I don't think I have ever played anything where I could not get enough air through my nose. That being said, Reinhardt disciples have a rather elaborate system of mouth breathing that involves embouchure manipulation and it seems to work fine for them

5. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Why such a big argument over this? Some people do it and others don't as is evident by the controversy in this thread. There is no one recipe to successful trumpet playing.

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Herseth advocated using the empty toilet paper roll in your mouth to feel the "HO" intake. This little "trick" is difficult to do wrong and it fills you from top to bottom.
    If you think this "HO" intake even breathing through your nose, you will fill up properly.
    To each, his own.
    RT

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    lets see -- GM -- yes, babies correctly breathe through their nose -- because they have not learned everything that WE ALL KNOW!!!!!!! and that is --- you can't possibly suck your thumb and breath through the mouth correctly, so therefore babies use their nose to breath. Elementary, my dear watson, elementary!!!!!!!!! now I thought you medical gentlemen would have already figured that out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- but it is OK to ask KT for a second opinion --- I am not a doctor, but I dreamed I was one last night, and you should have seen my Nurse and my receptionist at my practice -- they are very professional, and I might add quite attractive --- my affiliated hospital sure knows how to staff my office ---!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhhh, brainiac,don't be a boob, it's not the thumb that babies are pre-ocupied with sucking!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I just had to try the toilet paper method, and I have to admit, I got flushed!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, you look a little pale -- be careful on "how you breathe" -- I mean too much breathing and it is possible that you could hyperventilate (by the way do you have brown paper sack handy??? I mean does the store even have those anymore??? --- well definitely DONT PUT A PLASTIC BAG over your head -- a definite NO, NO!!!!!!!!!)
    well -- try NOT to hyperventilate yourself in the first place --- and too little breathing will probably cause you to lose consciouseness -- BUT DONT WORRY about that because your autonomic nervous system will take over after you PASS OUT!!!!!! and usually cause you to start breathing again ------------------------------------WOW, GM, you can hold your breath until you turn BLUE and pass out, but in the end --- YOUR OWN BODY IS LIKELY TO HELP YOU BREATH AGAIN --- I am almost certain at that point ----YOU WILL BE BREATHING THROUGH YOUR NOSE!!!!!!!!!!
    ROFL ROFL ROFL