Taking a breath

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fuzzyhaze, Feb 25, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Turtle, You would be such an EASY intubation.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :-?

I resemble that remark. (what is an intubation?):oops:

Turtle

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A Video is worth a thousand words. Why would you be easy? Because you are a layed back, relaxed kinda dude. It's actually meant as a complement. I wish ALL my patients could be Turtles.

Intubation-How to perform endotracheal intubation # 2 - YouTube

We can also go through the nose using an instrument called.... Yep you guessed it.... A nasal Trumpet... Oh Yuchhhh!

[Its actually more like a bugle, no valves, just goes to show ya the person inventing that device WAS NOT a trumpet player... Likely had trumpet envy... a trumpet wannabe... Parents probably pushed him into being a doctor, when he really wanted to be a trumpet player making the big bucks!]

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ain't anesthesiology wonderful? Never felt or knew if such was used as alternative to a tracheotomy to provide an airway. Don't know of anyone playing a wind instrument (brass or reed) with a trach, but I was later told by the Doc I came close with earlier surgery than my last. I want no pall yet!

5. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Rowuk,

Thanks for sharing some really useful info back there. I'm still feeling my way through this (hard to undo lifelong habits). I just wanted to say one thing here. This is what I have discovered so far. I have noticed that when I take an intentional breath through my nose, my diaphragm is positioned much better than when I do the same through my mouth. I have read here and elsewhere about players having their diaphragms 'tucked in' to support their breathing and what I've found is that a confident breath through the nose automatically puts my diaphragm into a better starting position. The noisey nose thing is another matter but I reckon with enough patient practise I can get it quieter over time.

Thanks again for taking my query seriously, Fuzzy Haze

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And either extreme can cause death.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I concur with Rowuk, that when you can, breathing through the nose is preferable, both in playing or any other time. Too, I'm now a prolific user of a saline nasal wash developed during O2 therapy using a nasal cannula for the intake of O2. Such reduces weird nasal sounds. Too, using a wind shroud of breath gaurd on microphones lessens the audio pick-up of such.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The problem is always the all or nothing mentality. On the other hand, there would be no artistry without passion.

What is hard for me to understand is the opinion without trying it first. We need YEARS to get a really crisp, fast double tongue, decades to get a Tower of Power double high C and a lifetime for a Martin Committee. Why not take 4 bloody weeks and get a nose job? It is not like you can mess anything else up.

There are techniques for inhaling big with the nose. The typical snort is not necessary when we have practiced.

To clear something else up - the toilet paper roll is not to sell mouth beathing. It is a technique to visualize what really filling up feels like. Many players prior to this THOUGHT that they knew what a deep breath meant.

Perhaps even more important than through which gate the air comes is the preparation for breathing through proper body use. Head back "neck over the spine", chin tucked in slightly, shoulders back, feet about shoulders width apart and PARALLEL. We need to practice this to get the minimum tension even when sitting/standing up straight. Once our bodies are set up to even accept the intake of air, the noise factor decreases greatly.

Breathing does not start with the nose or mouth, it starts with an attitude.

9. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Question: I have a problem with continual nasal congestion (even Nasonex seems to not help much)....should I bother even ATTEMPTING to breathe through my nose? (BTW, the congestion is mild; thus , outside of the trumpet and such I'm always breathing through my nose)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Perhaps if you notice it more with trumpet playing it is either vaso-motor or psychological. Before I proceed further, Nasonex should work for vaso-motor; however, the Nasonex needs to be used appropriately (due to its mechanism of action in suppresssing T-cells). So first let me know, how are you using the Nasonex.

If you don't use it you lose it... which brings me to part 2 of the differential diagnosis.