Taking A Day Off

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, May 13, 2010.

1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Guys!

Personally, I'm not a big believer in major warmups. I do believe in playing a little bit before going on stage, or before the rehearsal starts, if for no other reason than to remind myself what key the trumpet I have in my hands is in.

I DO strongly believe in blowing warm air through the horn prior to an entrance, or piror to tuning, so that the horn is at or close to operating temperature so that my intonation is easier to cope with.

More than a little bit of playing as a warm up can use energy that might be better spent on the concert itself. ;-)

My two cents, anyway!

Guy

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    What exactly constitutes a warm up? I've noticed that after playing at school for a total of two hours, without having had much time for warm up, I can go home and play much more comfortably and easily than at school. So maybe any sort of playing is a warm up, not necessarily arpeggios, etc. Also, maybe part of warming up is just getting the lips ready, not necessarily the muscles.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I play lead in a 18 piece band and wouldn't attempt playing the arrangements of Willie Maiden,Mike Abene, Tommy Newsome,Ernie Wilkins etc., without first warming up. I can't play arrangements with written A's, Bb's, B's and C's , above high C, with no warm up. Even with students I find warming up helps to avoid developing bad habits. As far as taking time off away from the trumpet , sometimes it helps us fix things that may have unknowingly crept into our playing .

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have been teaching for over 30 years and made a discovery quite a while back. It is possible to teach dependence or independence. I have beginners that can "jump right in" instead of sneaking up to playing. My take on "warm ups" has nothing to do with maintaining a daily routine that truly builds musical and mechanical properties.

The necessity of "warming up" the chops is not only my own idea/research. I also worked with a couple of doctors on this. Our discovery is that the face muscles simply do not need the same "priming" as the large skeletal muscles. As they are only suited for short anaerobic activity, just a bit of flapping is sufficient to get the juices flowing. Warm ups just seem to use up some of the available endurance instead of increasing performance.

The psychological side of a "warmup" cannot be simply dismissed. My students that have come to me from other teachers can keep their "warmup". The order that they play various exercizes during lessons does change. Sometimes they come in and have to immediately produce. They do develop a certain amount of confidence this way and most certainly do not make excuses when there is no time to get into the swing of things before a gig.

I don't think that it is possible to AB test these concepts. Like everything else trumpet, we are creatures of habit and messing with habits can harm our playing until (or even if) we can get used to something else.

I also take days off after strenuous periods of playing.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I've been teaching for 35 years and have found most students and players sound better with a warm up, especially if the first piece is very strenuous ,the band I play lead in plays The party's over as recorded by Maynard, the first two notes I have to play are high C to double high C, this is something I don't want to attempt without warming up .

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  6. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Rowuk I believe that it is possible to play fine without warm-ups but is there any dependency on warm-ups of immature lips.

From my expirence days off are really unnecessary physically IF you play with proper technique. Sadly its not going to be possible for most trumpet players at first. I do think it does make a psychological impact. From stories, some which are probably made up, I have read on this site its much needed in a professional realm.

7. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I am really learning a lot from this discussion. As a new comeback player, I have a low skill and level and for some reason I just believe I could use more warm-up.

As an interesting addendum, this weekend, I arrived early for my lesson so my teacher said go into the lesson room and warm-up. I was able to give myself "that" extra 2 minutes that I have been craving, for a total of 5 minutes. My chops responded in a way that I always knew they could. I am willing to admit it may be psychological, but I "believe" I was better able to show what I had learned over the week much better.

David

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I guess one can conclude that the best warm up is whatever works for you. I've watched many pro players (and often managed to get in the holding/warm up room with jazz bands before the concert) before concerts to see their warm up. Some monsters only took 5 minutes and were ready to go. I've also watched a studio muscian warm up for over and hour and a half (I'd be lucky to play the gig after that much). I think it is do whatever you need to get you where you can "deliver" your best.

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Don't be fooled by players that only take 5 minutes to get ready, when I arrive at a gig or rehearsal it only takes me 5 minutes to get ready, but I already warmed up for 30 minutes earlier at home.

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Make that 4 cents now Guy!

+1