Taking a trumpet on a plane....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JonathanShaw, Apr 1, 2007.

1. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    I'm flying from PA to Ontario Canada this weekend and playing trumpet for a couple Easter services. My case is a Reunion Blues double. Anyone have any experience with taking a trumpet on a plane?

2. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    You are allowed to take it as a carry-on even if it is technically too big for one. This is due to the value and relatively delicate nature of the horn. The only thing is you might have to pull it apart at the security checkpoint so they can check it out. I had to last time I flew with my horn and they made me play it too. :lol:

3. green_eagle18

green_eagle18 Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2006
    Denton, TX.
    haha, they asked me to play once but i declined because i was in a hurry. when I had a bach strad, one of the TSA security guys asked me if it was a violin. but i've never had any problem taking my trumpet on flights. i use a protec xtreme gig bag. its pretty big for just holding one trumpet, but i always manage to make it fit.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I flew in January.

No problem, they x-rayed it and I was on my way.

I HATE FLYING!!!

-cw-

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    even with the trumpet as a carryon i would still use a hard case for it. i use a Yamaha "heavywall" double case and I bought a case cover for it to carry oil and such.

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I just use my gig bag and put it on the floor under the seat in front of me, never an overhead. I want it where I can see it and keep it between my feet.

Michael McLaughlin

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I used a Torpedo Bag, fits nicely under or above.

-cw-

8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    The torpedo bag is a hard shell though right?

9. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Jonathon, check with your airline to see what the aircraft type is. If you are flying Air Canada, it most likely will be a CRJ and the overheads are VERY small and you'd have to put your horns on the floor. BUT the floor/under seat did take my Mike Vax trumpet/flug case and of course, so did security. Not sure if they are still making you carry fluids in a small bag you can show security so take a small contaner of valve oil!

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Bill, I had to make a quick overnighter out to Vancouver and back courtesy of Scare Canada ... make sure your toothpaste is no more than 100 ml tube size! Other than that, no worries for carryon. You can take larger if you are checking baggage though.

The new Airbus 340 is a nice ride; the Embreaer quite a bit smaller and bumpier than he!!.... if you are going over the mountains (probably not much chance of that down East!). Nice seatback "entertainment center" in both.