Taking a trumpet on a plane....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JonathanShaw, Apr 1, 2007.

1. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    The Reunion Blues double will fit in the overheads. I fly allot internationally (Esp. US to Canada) and travel with a RB flugel soft case and Bam single tpt case. The only problems I have had is from Toronto to Albany. The plane was so small there was no over heads at all. So they put the Bam case in the crew locker and everybody was happy. Flugel went under the seat.

If you give them attitude about it they can (and will) refuse to let your horn on. Then it must be gate checked. I have seen this happen on both American and Canadian Airlines.

The letter from the Union will not help. It is %100 the flight Attendants call. So be good to them.

Also: Put your Valve oil and slide grease in your checked bags. I had to throw out a bottle of Oil (because it was petrol based) in Chicago, Il. three weeks ago.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  2. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I have also used a Reunion Blues double bag many times with no issues. The only advise I would add is that if you are flying on Southwest Airlines, check in on-line the day before to make sure you get in the boarding group A or B, otherwise if you wait until you get to the airport to check in, you most likely will end up with boarding group C, and by the time you get on the plane, most if not all of the overhead storage will be gone-then you may be asked to check you tpt, which of course you DON'T want to do. good luck with your travels :)

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Chuck,
    Did the xray treatment make it play better? I think that should have made a more brilliant sound!

Just be careful that the xrays don't cook off your valve oil!

A horn playing buddy of mine had a nice hip flask with Jim Beam in his case. They found it by xray. Boy did he get sh**!

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I am moving to Alberta in late August, so I am going to have to take my trumpet, flugel, cornet and all my mutes with me. I don't really know how I am going to fit everything because I also have to take all my clothes, laptop and everything else necessary to live in a new city.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hey... where are you going to, Brek? Job? School?

6. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    Man,

Rent a car and drive....TO to AB!!! Man that would be a nice ride on the TCH!

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    It's an even better ride by train! Sit back, sip a cold one and watch the miles float past. I used to come "home" to Alberta for Christmas via "Drive-away" car from Ontario and would always return by train; train is absolutely the best way to get a sense of how big this country really is!

8. Brekelefuw

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I am going to Keyano College in Fort McMurray for instrument repair in September.

Hopefully I can find a band to play in on my free time, or people who can play a bit so I can put one together myself.

I wanted to drive, but I have no one willing to go with me since my parents don't see the need for me to have the car all the way out there. I like long distance drives. It gives me time to reflect on things, or talk with whoever is in the car with me.
    I never thought of the train. Taking the train would be nice. The only long train ride I have ever done was from Rome to Paris overnight.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If you are "of age", check with the Drive-away companies (if they still exist). Back in "the day" they'd put some money towards gas and send you off. Most of the time the vehicles were ones bought "at auction" by Alberta dealerships... it was cheaper to drive them out (they're already used) than to put them on transport trucks. We used to get three or four guys together and run "through the night".... I made Toronto/Regina in 30 hours non-stop (and no co-driver) one time but I was young and stupid(er) then. Pack a pup tent and stop at parks along the way.

The train WILL be more costly but it's a vacation in itself. And the price isn't too bad if you don't mind "sitting up" at night.

Hope you've got accomodations arranged in Fort Mac... they're hellish expensive and rare as hens' teeth.

10. Brekelefuw

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I have never heard of a 'drive away' company. I will have to look into it.
    I am of age (23)

I am going to live in residence there. If I get denied for residence, then I can't go to college there.