Taking breaths not quickly enough

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reraom, Nov 26, 2011.

1. reraom

reraom New Friend

Oct 11, 2011
    I've been playing trumpet for a short time, is that a commong problem with the beginners? Cause I strive for that big, relaxed breath, but when I do it, I do it way too slow, so never ready to be on the beat and if I try to take a breath quickly in order to be on time, my breathing is tense and forced. How do I go about this? Thanks

2. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Depends how old you are. When I started about 7 years back I was only 8, and my lungs weren't really developed enough to get a quick but huge breath in. If you start off as an adult your body has fully developed but you can still improve your cardiovascular capacity (lung capacity).

When coming to deal with this, there is no substitute for practice - years of long hard trumpet practice every day. Gradually, you'll find it easier to take in large amounts of air in half a second.

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I dont think this is a common problem, at least Ive never heard it being put quite like that before. I dont think its serious though, breathing problems are often mostly cured by just being aware of them. My aproach to breathing on fast passages that dont have any obvious breath spots like tunes that dont have any lyrics and phrases that go on for ever, is to grab a bit of air out the side of my mouth without having to reset the mouthpiece. You say it is hard for you to take a quick breath and it tenses you up, well, slow down your practice rate and take more relaxed breaths at first and gradually increase the tempo. Its kind of like practicing tounging, start slow and clean and work on gradually speeding up keeping it clean.

Being a new player Im sure that learning the basics is high on your list and breath control is a big part of it. There is no shortcut for practice and learning when, and how much to breath comes with experience. Some here have advocated a large breath every time but sometimes that just cant be done, and truth be told, over breathing just gets you bloated and in need of an exhale and a fresh breath, something that is doubly time consuming. Unless you are sight reading you will be aware of the flow of the piece and spots for a breath show themselves. With experience you will be able to take advantage of smaller and smaller breath spots and away you go. Till then just shorten the whole notes as needed! Best wishes.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, playing trumpet for a short time is a common problem for beginners.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  5. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Don't take the horn off your face - keep your lips in place. Drop your jaw, say "home", and breathe through the sides of your mouth.

6. reraom

reraom New Friend

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks everybody for your input!

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It was definitely a problem for me ... My instructor had to go through numerous visuals to try and get me to breathe faster.

Of course, there's the mechanical stuff ... breathe through the sides of your mouth, w/o losing contact with the mp, as someone mentioned. As he used to say, "The nose slows."

Then, it was, "make it faster, fill your chest." And onto .... "Okay, it doesn't have to be as full" ... and, my favorite, "Breathe like a drowning man." That gets your attention, but when I tried that, there was quite a huge sound that went with it, as you could imagine, if you were just coming up for a gasping breath.:dontknow:

So, that didn't work. Then it was, "make it faster, not full, but enough to play your next passage." It all got way too complicated. Just practice a fast, not full, breath that is relatively quiet. It comes after a while.

Turtle

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  8. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    one other issue you likely have is that, being a new player, you likely use up too much air to produce a buzz. A lot of people think that you need to blow really hard when you play a trumpet. New players will try to blow or huff out notes. What you really should be doing is building up air pressure and using your tongue to release air to begin the note, then maintain the buzz with air flow. You should work on playing long tones as quietly as possible.

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't think this has been suggested yet, but Rowuk has some great information in his posts --- search "Circle of breath". Some of them will detail the idea of proper breathing. I believe this will be helpful to you

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and practicing for a short period of time is also. ROFL ROFL ROFL