Taking care of a raw brass horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Dec 11, 2011.

1. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    What he said.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    And by the star on the bell. I didn't know you could tell by the receivers. Thanks for sharing.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If your hands turn green and smell like pennies when your done, you may want to wear gloves.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes, thank you for checking with me on that. I prefer the lightweight horns; I find I do not need the extra weight.

Also, thanks for all input! I do like the look of raw brass, I just want to make sure I don't do something stupid!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree!!!!!!!!!! let that baby tarnish --- but patina sound a lot nicer, doesn't it???? ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I will have to remember that next time I spill something on my clothes. "Honey it's not a stain, it's a naturally occurring patina"! :cool:

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    :-P
    If your hands turn green with dollars and smell like sucess, you may not care what it looks like.:-P

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I am of the age where I keep my neckties in the refrigerator so they don't spoil.:oops:

9. St. Rugglin

St. Rugglin New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Low Pass Oregon
    I use a little non abrasive car wax. Works great if you want to keep it shiny and doesn't smell as much as Brasso. I don't mind giving it an occasional polish. 0000 steel wool will shine it up too and won't give it that brushed look.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great advice already given. A 72 lightweight is a great horn. I play on a raw brass lightweight Bach 43. Not by choice. It's just old, and most of the lacquer came off, so I stripped off the rest.

I usually let the horn remain tarnished. But it shines up pretty easily with vinegar (if you don't mind the smell), a bath w/ oxyclean with a piece of aluminum foil, or a little non-abrasive car wax. For tough spots, I use a cymbal cleaner called Buckaroo.

Mike