Taking out oil stains

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I know all of us have ruined favorite articles of clothing with those awful green/grey oil spots from our horns. To this day, I have not found anything that will take them out. I was just speaking to a cousin of mine and she suggested using DISHWASHER liquid in the washing machine. A capful per load of laundry. Since that stuff is meant to break down grease and oil, I think I will give it a try. Has anyone else tried this with any success or found the cure for these stains?

2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Alex,

I use Spray and Wash as soon as I get home. The shirt doesn't ususally get washed until the weekend and it seems the few days of sitting helps get the stains out.

Maybe we need to come up with a Trumpeter's Bib... we can market it at ITG this year...

.... "great for BEER and COFFEE stains too".....

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    hmmm...this one I'll watch with interest...I've got lots of oil blotches, too. Let us know how it works, Alex!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    [​IMG]May I suggest ... With a little work you can even decant the oil back into the bottle.... much as you could with the "originally intended overflows"!

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Don't waste yout time with dish soaps.

I occasionally wash out my 'shop' rags, stained with various trumpet oil, grease, acid, buffing comppund, blood, etc.

I let them soak in a utility sink full of hot water and laundry detergent, specifically Tide with bleach. Laundry detergent out cleans any household strength soap I've tried for cleaning cloth in water.

I think you're going to have to go with a solvent of some sort for tough stains - soap won't cut it.

GZ

6. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    oh man i hate when that happens.
    i ruined yellow tee,s orange,and those stians never come out!
    if someone knows what works please let me know.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Rog, I have not been able to get any of the sprays or stain removers to work even when I catch it immediately. A lot of my stains are on the bottom of shirts that I usually really like and the lap area of my pants.

GZ - I have clothes that will be destroyed if I used bleach of any kind. That is why I was looking for some kind of alternative without being able to use bleach. Solvents would probably fit into that category.

Clarence - I feel your pain. ;-)

Toots! LOL

My cousin said she had a uniform covered in blood (she is an ER nurse) and bleach was not an option because it was some pastel color. She said the dishwasher soap did the trick for that, so I thought it might work on those frustrating little green spots on the bottom of my nice shirts! I will do an experiment this week and see what happens. :dontknow:

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Well, what have you got to lose except your shirt!? :-) You'll have to let us know the results!

9. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Zout is a really good stain remover. You might also try Carbona - they make them in different formulations depending on the stain.

J

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA

You deserve a "sha-dump-boom" for that Toots. :lol: