Taking out oil stains

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA

Thank you Mr C. :-) I will give them a try. I am not trying to be girly about this, but honestly, I have these long flowing silky type shirts I like to wear when performing and teaching. I am so $&*(<! that most of them are stained within hours of being in contact with a trumpet. I just put it down, whether sitting or standing, and the valve bottoms/oily water key naturally lie in that area. Even though I prefer cotton always, when I work, I wear mostly synthetic materials or silks. I think this is why I am having such problems removing the stains.

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Start wearing different colours?
    Stain the whole shirt BEFORE you play, then anything left by the trumpet won't show.

Yeah, I know, not exactly the most fashionable solution, but this IS coming from a guy with pink hair:dontknow:

I have to admit, this is one of the reasons I prefer to wear darker colours when playing solos - the potential stains are not quite so obvious.
    I have lost a couple of white shirts to the problems of instrument related stains - very frustrating.

White jackets are even harder - dry clean only and unbelievably easy to get slightly stained.

3. HoboTrumpet

HoboTrumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    New Ulm, MN
    From the University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service (via a farmer-type calendar I have collecting dust in my office): "Sponge with dry-cleaning solvent or waterless hand cleaner. Rinse with water. Air dry. Apply detergent to stain. Launder."

I think it would be easier to just wair a pair of waders.

4. Khora

Khora Piano User

Sep 17, 2006
    New York
    HI Alex-

Ah, the infamous "Trumpet Schmutz" -- been there so often!

On silk (assuming it is washable silk!) and cotton, I've had the most luck applying regular dish detergent (I use Ajax, but Dawn works really well too) to the spot as soon as possible. Pretty much any grease cutting detergent works well, but dish detergents don't (generally, at least) seem to be so harsh on the clothes.

OxyClean (or the house brand equivalent) works well on the grey/green stains (but not on silk or some synthetics), but it does nothing about the grease. And you have to apply a paste of it to the spot and let it sit for a while. Or soak it for several hours. Works with colored shirts, though.....

You might also want to keep an old (but respectable looking) linen napkin or other pretty thick rag in your case which you can put in your lap while teaching. Sounds silly, but it gets the rag "schmutzed" instead of your shirt. And if it is a good looking rag, well, it's cool instead of geeky!

Hope that helps a little-

Sandy

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Alex,

I made a few calls to your neighbors... they say forget the shirts altogether.

Bad, bad Rog....

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Talk to your dry cleaner shop. They are the pros that do this every day (we do send the people looking for answers at TM also to the "pros") and can surely sell you a bottle of what works! I got one of those stains on my white smoking jacket and they solved my problem!

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    ***update***

I asked Leigh about this and he said they use DISHWASHER LIQUID soap to remove the grease from their clothes! VOILA!! Not dishWASHING liquid, but dishWASHER liquid. Cascade for instance. I have a small pile of clothing that are up to the task of giving it a try. :cool:

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ahhh... but did he also tell you that you have to put the clothes IN THE DISHWASHER!? (you might want to turn the dry cycle off).:lol:

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Jeez, I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I use dishwasher detergent to get stains out of white shirts, and it works great!

Electrosol is what works for me.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Doh! ME smacking your forehead! :lol: (kidding, of course)