Taking out oil stains

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 29, 2007.

  1. masterfulmusic29

    masterfulmusic29 New Friend

    35
    0
    Dec 15, 2006
    Sounds like you all have a lot of leaky trumpets. Maybe you should look at addressing the cause instead of the result. You all might be putting the cart before the horse if I may dare to say
    James
     
  2. Brekelefuw

    Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

    3,185
    976
    Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I think they mean that it happens when they oil their valves or rest the horn with the spit valve on their clothes. That is how I get the odd stain or two.
     
  3. Mikey

    Mikey Forte User

    1,840
    2
    Oct 24, 2003
    Actually, the oil leaks out the bottom valve caps. I have found the staining to be more of a problem when using petrolium-based oils. When I use Ultra-Pure or some other synthetic-based oil, the stains are not as bad.
     
  4. Alex Yates

    Alex Yates Forte User

    2,342
    6
    Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    You are exactly right. No leaks here. Just drips here and there from the valves and the waterkeys when standing or sitting and holding the horn against the body. Even when you are aware, it is difficult to catch yourself every time.

    I thought I remembered that Phil Smith has the same pair or two of kakhis he wears to rehearsals as not to ruin the rest of his wardrobe with these little green and black monsters. I have a few cotton tshirts with them and will try the dishwasher liquid trick. If it works, I will go to the handful of dressy clothing I have (made of synthetic materials) with fingers crossed.
     
  5. westview1900

    westview1900 Piano User

    257
    2
    Nov 30, 2005
    If possible, wear darker colors. This will hide the stain.
     
  6. dow30

    dow30 Piano User

    342
    1
    Apr 26, 2005
    NY
    Hi Alex,

    I have taken some of the worst stains out with Lestoil and some scrubbing, but you will then have to soak and wash a few times to get rid of the smell from the Lestoil. But it worked on things I thought were absolutely ruined.
     
  7. trumpetnick

    trumpetnick Fortissimo User

    3,865
    924
    Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I bet that audience will grow if that happens ROFL Probably not for the right reason, but this should not bother box office agents ROFL
     
  8. ROGERIO

    ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

    908
    3
    Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Idea...

    I went out and purchase a bunch (dozen) BLACK face towels. You know the same size as the ones everyone lifts from the hotel rooms... oops, am I the only one that does that???

    Anyway, I keep a bunch of them around, in my cases etc.... I place them on top of my left thigh where the horn(s) usually ends up while I'm counting measures or resting. This seems to take care of about 80% of the problem. The other 20% ends up being stains on my belly area from the accidental drops... sadly, this "area" has grown over the years.... LOL

    Any fabric in black seems to help... I'd hate to be able to see all the stains on my tux pants....
     
  9. Firestas'1

    Firestas'1 Piano User

    471
    1
    Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Be careful with the dishwasher detergent, many of them contain chlorine bleach to kill germs.
    I have good luck using automotive brake parts spray cleaner on oil spots, so far I haven't had any problem with colorfastness although I would try an inconspicuous spot first.
    I spray the spot immediately then blot with a clean towel or paper towel, you can sometimes use this while still wearing the shirt (be sure you are not sensitive to the chemical first), the solvent drys almost instantly.
     
  10. Bourbon City

    Bourbon City Pianissimo User

    242
    3
    Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have used a varity of valve oil over the years. I don't remember having problems with permanent stains.

    Are the pistons dirty? Is there crud built up inside the bottom valve caps? In the horn itself? If so, this is likely where you stains are coming from. The crud and not the oil is staining your clothes.

    Or, you all wear nicer clothes than I do therefore I don't notice the stains.

    Hey, my 2 cents...
     

Share This Page