Taking out oil stains

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 29, 2007.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Is the trumpet building industry watching this thread? Who came up with the stupid idea of venting the valve on the bottom anyway (I know, I know-the dry cleaning industry..................)?
    Let's have a contest and see which manufacturer adresses this first and best!
    (Alex - your rotary valved trumpet is much nicer to your clothes!!!!!) There has to be a better PREVENTION solution!

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Rowuk,
    That is a nice suggestion but I do not think that Leigh (Eclipse) is rotary compatible...so must be Alex ROFL Have you ever seen rotary trumpet with stripes, spots or in purple finish? I haven't and probably never will...I think that it is all about status...

3. Scooter01

Scooter01 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2006
    My wife suggests spraying your clothes with Scotch Guard as a preventive measure to avoid future stains. The Dry Cleaner is a great suggestion. I've also had success with hand cleaners like the kind an auto mechanic would use. Add some to the stain as a pretreatment just before washing. It acts as a dispersant which breaks up the oil so it washes out easily.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I had a band rehearsal tonight and a buddy of mine has a 4 valve compensated Boosey and Hawkes baritone horn. Under the valves there is a contraption to collect moisture. It slides off for emptying. Maybe this can get our "invention" started. Leigh, what do you think?

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I can see the before and after photos.

Richard

6. brett wall

brett wall New Friend

Feb 22, 2007
    Nashville TN
    I use Permatex hand cleaner and a small scrubby-brush... use the "white goo" type that does not contain abrasives. You can get it at auto parts stores.

7. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Don't Bach have a grime gutter that they supply with their new trumpets and everyone throws away? Maybe there's a secondhand market for them?

Personally, I think oil stains and green sludge marks are a badge office.

Alex, be a man and wear them proudly.

Regards,

Trevor

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    No, Alex, don't be a man, whatever you do! We like you just fine as is.

Michael McLaughlin

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    20 years ago our section had all unlaquered instruments and the 2nd player and myself had an ugly horn contest to see who could go the longest without polishing our horns. I won (with flying colors, naturally) -- oil stains aren't nuthin' compared to that ugly green on the hands and white tie and vest. Maybe that's why they stick us in the back row!

Uglify your instrument and nobody will notice your clothes!

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    ROFL I cannot imagine Alex trying to "uglify" her beautiful Eclipse ROFL Is this what Trevor is calling
    ?