Taking Rowuks Advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I am gonna stick to asking questions.

My schedual limits me to playing every day. Actually, I can only really play on the weekends until i Get a Silent Brass system (Because of school/work) , which may be awhile. What would you guys reccomend for a nice long chop workout. I think in this case wearing my chops down to the feeling of playing a nice long gig that day may work.

Also, I am going to switch from playing with pressure to almost none at all, what are some good ways to accomplish this?

2. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Dude, are you joking? You don't play all week and you're looking for help from guys that generally play everyday, all day? If you're serious, then frankly, you're not "serious." Wishing you the best,

Ed

3. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I'm sorry, but this is exactly the kind of person I hate. I am very serious, and I used to and will play everyday in the future. I am actually going to get my masters Degree in performance in the future. So please post with seriousness.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey,
    Send me a PM with your mailing addy and I'll send you my Silent Brass system. I do not use it anymore. Yes, for free. Although I do take donations since I'm a college guy. Peace.

Keep blowin',
    Tim "Bear"

Richard Oliver, Schwab and MJ like this.
  5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    That is just about the nicest gesture I have seen in a while.

6. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Wow... are you serious? I am downloading AIM right now hahaha... Thank you very much

7. tomcat

tomcat Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2007

wow. Heck of a guy. :D While your at it, you got any horns you don't use anymore? LOL

8. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    Hi Patric,

For the guys like you (and me) who can't play even an hour a day, the only thing that one can do is to improve the efficiency in our play. There was one of the comments that rowuk wrote on the post about "endurance" about it. Here are my two preferred post from Rowuk (a.k.a Robin) in this thread :

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/131/endurance-37573-3.html#post332489

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/131/endurance-37573-4.html#post333738

When improving efficiency, you'll get the job done with less effort. And therefore, everything can be improve drastically: endurance, range, sound quality. Unfortunately, it's easier to write that to do. That's when a good teacher comes into play. I have the chance to have one for 7 months now and he totally changed the way I play, for the better.

Actually, if you focus your effort in playing efficiently right now, when you'll be able to practice several hours a day, it will just be real pleasure (You'll even get a free yoga lesson in parallel).

Remember that Claude Gordon had it right when he said "Brass playing is no harder than deep breathing" (I should look at this book one time. With such a true title... I'm curious :D)... The first advice: be as relax as you can when you play. No, even more relax than that... And a second advice - but you already found out: rowuk's posts are worth their weight of gold.

St├ęphane

9. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hey Tim "Bear",
    That was a truly selfless gesture. Good for you. That's not a cheap practice mute system. I hope it comes back to you two fold.
    Bob

10. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Just wondering... How much sound does the Silent Brass system actually eliminate from the outside world?

Thank you brunet. With a mute system though I may also be able to practice a little later into the night. This is definatly not a permanent solution, but a very great one indeed, especially if my main goal is to keep my chops.