Taking Rowuks Advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Ok, well I do have a garage, the only thing is I'm living with my grandparents (No rent haha) And at night they turn on the alarm system and the garage is tied into that. I will however start doing more mouthpiece buzzing/free buzzing and leadpipe playing. I'm living in elk grove, so I'm not sure how far Sacramento State is from me, I'll have to look for that.

In the mornings my grandparents are still asleep (till about 10 or so) so silent brass there will help. And I will definatly keep playing open on the weekends, no SB system or anything, just to find my ground again. I guess the only thing to do now is make a schedule and start practicing haha. Thanks everyone for your responses.

2. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Silent brass is good. I just use the mute, i have never got into the electronics. It is always in my case. i use it every day even it if it is just for a minute while before the gig. I work 6-7 nights a week.

You just need some face time on the trumpet. A little bit every day is better than waiting to the weekend when you have more time.

Even if you just play for for 15-30 minutes a day, you will notice a difference. Play some long tones, and Clarke 1&2.

If you only play in the silent brass, it can mess with your sound. Sound is the most important. so make sure you get some time without the mutes.

I have a silent brass mute for piccolo trumpet as well. it is great when you are playing long weddings with a lot of time between horns, or just to play a little before you start.

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Before you spend a good little deal of money on the Yamaha electronics, can you borrow some friends' practice mutes? I have a Wick practice mute and a Brass Spa mute. Both are mighty quiet.

4. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    lol richardwy you missed Bears generous offer to me. and yeah Justin, I do play on doing alot of non SB time, it will just so i can play alot longer on the weekdays, well, so i can actually play at all on the weekdays.