Talent or Hard Work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Oct 30, 2010.

1. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    It is my viewpoint that to learn a musical instrument, one needs talent, and hard work. But which is the more prominent factor? If you aren't inclined musically but have lots of drive and ambition. Can you reach the plateau occupied by the great players? At what point of technical prowess does talent take over and the instrument become natural? Like an extension of one's self? I play a few other instruments but guitar was always my main one. And I'm at the point where I don't think, I just play. I forgot at what point that happened. I'm wondering how long it will take with the trumpet. Completely different instruments I know. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this subject? I realize I'm not asking a specific question, just for your opinions as I love the forum and discussing anything to do with music. Thanks , hope all is well.

2. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    You can come to a surtent level with hard work, but if you want to be really good you have to have some talent

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is impossible to say which is more important, the guys getting playing jobs definitely have hard work on a VERY prominent level. I would even venture to say that talent without hard work is useless.

You see, playing trumpet at a high level requires a major re routing of body functions. The human tongue was not born to double tongue - reprogramming does that. Our lips were also not designed for controlled compression - only thousands of repetitions accomplish that.

As far as reaching the great players, I see the chances as not too great. They have even more than talent and hard work, they have the gift of opportunities (being in the right place at the right time with their hard work and talent) that mere mortals are not privy to. Without the opportunities, our development is immensely more difficult.

How long does it take to get good with the trumpet? Some manage in 2 years, some take a lifetime. Most of us are somewhere in between.

4. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Well, to be world-renowned for your skill it probably takes world-class talent. Actually, it's hard for me to imagine anyone making a great professional group without a large amount of talent, especially since it seems the more talented a person is, the more likely they are to work hard at it. But how far do you want to go with it?

But, the thing about music "talent" is that there are so many factors within it: coordination, ability to multitask, ability to take charge, ability to match others, patience, ear for intonation, rhythmic accuracy, eye coordination, hand coordination, physical capacity, creativity, quick ability to fix mistakes, ear for good style, brains to use your body/lungs to the maximum extent, and so forth.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    People say I'm talented. However, this is all I know. The harder I work, the luckier I get.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    In my opinion -- it takes at least 2000 hours of intelligent, consistent, methodical practice to make a pleasant sound to most audiences.
    I am a comeback player -- so I already knew the fingerings and music, and what an embouchere is supposed to do.

7. meauxhorn

meauxhorn New Friend

Feb 28, 2007
    Opportunities, hard work and talent. This helps give me perspective, thanks Rowuk!

8. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Mediocroity, when focused can excel...... I am betting on it! ;-)

9. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Well, I think probably just about anyone can learn something - maybe even a lot...but,

I do not believe (and never have, nor never will), that someone is going to reach the level of the great players (and here again - in your mind, who might fit that definition? - who is a truly great player in your opinion? I think of players like Louis Armstrong, Doc Severinsen, etc.), without a lot of both of those qualities of which you ask. I believe you need a lot of both talent and hard work, and the higher the aspiration, the more of each will be required!

I am convinced that one without the other is similar to having only one hand instead of two.

I do not believe in the old proverb which says something like..."if you can believe, you can achieve...etc". No, I think you can achieve a certain amount; maybe even a lot, but there is an intangible factor that many call talent, or natural ability, or whatever, that enters the picture at some point and at some level, that in the absence thereof, a ceiling will exist somewhere in the effort to rise to the top - again, wherever/whatever that actually is.

I'm sorry, but I believe that people who tend to dismiss talent, or natural ability as an important factor in these kinds of considerations/discussions are probably themselves "light" on that factor, and would therefore like to deny its existence and/or influence...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Talent or hard work? Yes!