Talk to me about Schagerl...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chapmand, Sep 16, 2013.

1. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Tell me your stories. I'm entranced by the Gansch-Horn . Tell me it's worth it. Tell me I might as well get a student Olds. Tell me where I can try one... (alberta, canada ... anyone?)

I finally sold my King Legend - soooo looking around at others....:-?

regards,

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The two Schagerls I have played have been very good horns, Academica and Penelope. Contact Peter McNeil, he tried to get a Ganch horn, it was going to be expensive, a custom build and no indication of delivery.

He ended getting a Ganch style custom made by George Schlub in Singapore, a very reasonable price and delivery, I have played it and is among the best horns.

Regards, Stuart.

3. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Peter? You out there? Tell me about your experience please... what did the Schlub horn end up costing? was it still the perinet style rotary valves?
    thanks for any ideas.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    :?:

5. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    most of the piston valve -type trumpets are perinet . most rotary valve trumpets are not... they hold their trumpets like you would eat a sandwich. - as if you took your trumpet and held it in your hands with the valves horizontal to the ground.

This trumpet has a vertical appearance but still has rotary valves.
    My first brass instrument was a double horn from Josef Lidl built in Brno. I miss that rotary action. So smooth and buttery.
    check out youtube... there are some great samples... great sounds.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
  7. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    thanks that was fun.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Sorry I have been away for a couple of days, and out of mobile range.

To answer the question, Schagerl horns are great. I have 2 units, a Killer Queen Flugel, and a James Morrison. The rotary valves and fit and quality is superb.

The wait was long, and I just could not get a date even with the cash up front. I ended getting a Schlub Brassworks Gansch style trumpet horn, made to my specs in a month from the order being placed. In truth it could have been earlier, but I wanted a polished Raw Brass finish, and this work was hand done.

The horn was called The Dingo by Schlub Brassworks, and cost half the amount the Schagerl would have, but the Schagerl I had already waited 8 months with no confirmed delivery date to Australia. I personally tried to contact Karl Schagerl, but got no response. Schagerl are great horns, but were obviously too busy at that time.

I would definitely recommend George Schlub.
    Here is the Dingo: (Reverse Lead pipe, Schlub leadpipe, and made to order.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the Schagerl
    [​IMG]

Good luck,

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Hi Peter. Rotary trumpets have a different leadpipe and their overall construction causes intonations problems that most manufacturers solve by having holes at specific points in the horn and rods that can close/open them in a sort of flute fashion. I don't see any of that on yours, did they solve the problem differently, or is it just a different architecture for the horn?

10. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Thank you all for your help and direction.
    I've been in contact with George Schub through facebook and I can already see the money flying out of my hands.
    Very excited to get a custom hand-made perinet rotary valve wicked horn.

He told me that when he gets the downpayment... it would be done in three weeks.

crazy good .
    I'll let you all know how it progresses...