TAPS Funeral Honours - FAKE Bugle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Dec 2, 2009.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Bugle is the traditional instrument, but, not always the preferred one. Trumpets are used regularly at many major ceremonies by military personel. I sound Taps quite often and don't even own a bugle. My favored horn is one of my ML bore Reynolds trumpets for out door ceremonies and my grand fathers hand me down York short cornet for indoor ceremonies.

OLDLOU>>

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The truth is, there are simply not enough buglers/trumpet players to go around.

In that time of sorrow, the bugler, real or not is not the issue. It is the honoring of the deceased and the important part comes from the hearts of those attending. It is pretty lame to increase "our" importance. For the puritans or for the sake of argument: only military or retired military players are the right players. Everything else would be a comprimise.

My take is that if the family wishes to have military honors at the funeral, the important part is that they are available in whatever constellation. A bit of humility on our part would go a long way to keep the true meaning of these honors tradition.

If this was a trumpet gig, the last note would be a double C!

3. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    When I am asked to sound Taps, I use a WWII era Conn Bugle.

I started providing this service in High School in the 60s when we were allowed to leave the campus during the school day. To my knowledge, today most HS Musicians are not allowed to provide this Honor anymore. Sad times.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    I'm a HS student and me and a partner play "echo Taps" all over the county a few times each month. We are allowed out of school during that time (which is awesome) as long as we don't waste time. It's pretty neat to go out there and play for them. We don't hook up with Bugles across America, though. Somebody from the American Legion calls my cell a few days in advance.

5. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Do you play "Echo Taps" for funerals? I remember reading somewhere that "Echo Taps" was not appropriate for funerals.

6. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    i've heard that too...i think it applies to an active duty band person playing at a funeral service for an active duty member.
    however, a civilian playing for a veteran, does so at the wishes of the family, if the
    family desires Echo Taps then that's what they get.

ps..electronic horns can't do echo taps

7. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    Does anyone know where I can find military guidelines for performing the Last Post as is sounded in the Commonwealth instead of the American Taps?

8. tapsbugler

tapsbugler New Friend

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
    Ohhh

where do I being?

The Digital Bugle issue has been going on for some time now and I've posted much about it. I have done much research into bugling in the US and on the subject of Taps.
    Our website Tapsbugler.com is going to be redone over the next 6 months as we gear up for the 150th anniversary of the call

A few things:
    The player on the digital bugle is SGM Woody English of the US Army Band. Woody is THE bugler for the Army and sounded Taps for Reagan and most of the big ceremonies in DC. It was NOT recorded on the plaza of the Tomb of the Unknowns in May 1999, but is rather a studio recording Woody made for the band.

It is an acceptable substitute when a live bugler cannot be found for a funeral. However, it has become all too common for it to be used rather than going through the trouble of finding one. Sometimes they don't even bother to try and find a live player. It becomes all that more shameful when it's the funeral of an active duty member killed in the line of duty. They can get lots of troops, Patriot Guard riders and bagpipers, but no live bugler? One just needs to look through YouTube to see how many Military Funeral Honors are being performed with the digital. Many times (I've been told) a live bugler who shows up is told to stand down in favor of the digital for various reasons....

A quote above says that there are not enough buglers. Not so. What is really lacking is a good system to get buglers hooked up with veteran funerals. It can be done-there is a model out there on the net.

ECHO TAPS
    Echo Taps is not authorized by the US Army for funerals. I think it's OK for Memorial and Veterans Day services but really is out of place at funerals (IMHO) It's quite amusing to watch a bugler do echo taps by himself-first playing then turning 180 degrees and playing again
    Besides, if you have 2 buglers at a funeral, somewhere some veteran is going without..
    The digital does not do echo (just wait-they will offer one) but I've been told some buglers have been asked to do an echo with it (I was one). It seems it always comes down to the "wishes of the family"

Jari Villanueva

PS
    A Bugler SOUNDS Taps
    the digital PLAYS Taps

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thank you Jari for the inside info!

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Here in Kent County of Michigan The Kent County American Legion Honor Guard uses a digital bugle for the military funerals for the VAST MAJORITY of the sounding of Taps in our county, strictly because they do not ever seek out a live bugler. The American Legion has a large investment in that fake bugle and wants to see their investment used. I have sounded Taps over the county line many times, but, only once at a military funeral in Kent County, and that, at the behest of BAA. I would serve more, but, don't get requested.

OLDLOU>>