TAPS Funeral Honours - FAKE Bugle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Everybody in the Army band I was in used their everyday Bb trumpets. If you want to be authentic, finger 1&2 and play it in G (concert), just like a regulation bugle.

2. ruralist

ruralist New Friend

Nov 27, 2009
    Thermalands, California
    I am a veteran and trying to play the trumpet again. I will be joining Bugles Across America and finding a local mentor for the proper playing of taps. My understanding is that you join and then simply turn down requests to play until you are ready or until you can find the time to aid in honoring the vet who is need of your service. It is that simple. If you don’t sign up and get requests, you can not aid the vet when you have the time.

3. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Thanks for the info Jari!

How about the other military branches? Is Echo Taps authorized for those funerals?

4. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Seniors from my school have been playing Echo Taps for the American Legion for years. That's what they request us to play, and we play it.

As I said before, that is just what they request. They literally tell me "There will be a funeral at 11:45 at southside cemetery on the 14th, can you play echo taps for him?" Seniors from my school have been playing for the American Legion for almost 15 years now, and that is how it's always done. If it isn't "authorized" perhaps you should take it up with them.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  5. tapsbugler

tapsbugler New Friend

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
    I'm not the US Army or representing them-I'm only relaying what the Army has in their regs about sounding Taps at funerals. Silver Taps and Echo Taps are not played by the US Army (at least in their regs). What other groups choose to do is up to them.

The Air Force, in it's AFI, also says Taps is to be performed by a solo bugler, open without accompaniment or echo. I'm not sure about the Marines or Navy but figure it's the same.

I am only saying that the accepted military way to sound Taps is by a solo bugler or trumpeter-the way they do it at Arlington National Cemetery every day. Echo is not allowed and the digital is never used there since they have the resources of the DC military bands whose mission includes supporting ceremonies at ANC.

I think it's wonderful that students are stepping up sound Taps at veteran funerals. This used to be done by American Legion Drum and Bugle Corps members but those Corps have long disbanded....

Regards

Jari

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Darrien, I have included a previous post of mine that deals with the issue of The Last Post in Australia and probably gives you some clues about how the rest of the Commonwealth also honours the fallen, I hope it helps.

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    The very worst usage of the Taps melody I have ever witnessed was last July 4 celebration at the end of the parade at Ferrysburg, Mi.. At the RAISING of the American flag during the ceremony commemorating the birth of our nation, the local V.F.W. honor guard used a digital bugle to 'play' Taps. In the mind of many in our local community concert band seated at the base of that flagpole that was a travesty. I have never heard of Taps being sounded at the ' raising' of the flag, and to sit within 10' of the 'bugler' who didn't even try to breath in synchrony with that recording made it even more of a joke. I consider 'Butterfields Lullaby' ( Taps ), to be held in reverence, not used in such a fashion as to make it a virtual joke. Taps should only be sounded concurrant with the LOWERING of our national flag, or at a military funeral.

OLDLOU>>

8. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I recently went to a cousin's funeral and they had the fake bugle and no one knew it was fake except for me. They could have asked me to play, but I guess that's all arranged by the military.

9. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Actually, it's arranged by the family's request form, but they easily could have had you step in. Lots of people just don't understand what their options are, especially when they are grieving. I've actually gone to play for funerals where the family requested a live bugler, and then had the deceased's grandson play. It's a waste of our time and rescources to do that, but it's very easy to just not take the fake thing out of it's case. Next time offer your services to the family ahead of time - they might just be too overwhelmed to think of it at the time, and may be very greatful you offered.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I wonder if those who "play" an electronic bugle use a fresh set of batteries every time? It would be terrible if it lost power halfway through Taps. :shock: In the defense of the electronic bugle, I've heard a few renditions of Taps that would have been better played on one. One stands out in my memory, as the poor guy started on the wrong note (too high) and never got on track. Try it sometime in private and see what I mean...