TAPS Funeral Honours - FAKE Bugle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Dec 2, 2009.

1. tapsbugler

tapsbugler New Friend

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
    Dale-

I've heard pretty bad renditions too....

The Honor Guards that use the digitals are told to keep fresh batteries as they go through them faster than digital cameras.......
    Cold weather is an enemy too!

Here's what happened when it stops part of the way through......

YouTube - Military Funeral Honors Digital Bugle Taps

Oh, yes in response to oldlou

Taps is not to be used for raising or lowering of the US flag. There are other calls for those.

Jari

2. tapsbugler

tapsbugler New Friend

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
  3. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yes, there are many funerals for veterans that utilize "canned" taps. However, as mentioned, organizations like Bugles Across America provide a real bugler for the Honor Guard. Another organization that provides buglers is the Boy Scouts of America. As a member of BAA, I usually do 3 funerals a month. Yes, many are 50 miles or more, but many of the Honor Guards will reimburse for mileage.

Our veterans deserve a military funeral with a real bugler playing taps honoring those that have served our country.

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I was very disappointed the first time I heard the fake bugle and it was an Air Force Honor Guard using it. I have had the privilege of playing Taps now for a couple of funerals and for the last Memorial Day service. Our local American Legion was using the fake bugle prior to me, so I'm told, and I hope they don't have to use it again. I am happy to hear about this group, Bugles Across America, I am going to check into how to become associated with them.

As a U S Veteran I am proud to be able pay my respects with what is a small task compared to what so many others have given. I think many people underestimate what this formality means to the family, I can't count the people that have told me so afterward. I have an 87 year old Marine friend that has told me he put it in his will for me to play for him.

I play Taps on my trumpet (I have seen military honor guards do the same) so I don't think it is required to be done on a bugle. One more FYI, when I do Taps I stand about 50 - 75 yards away and out of sight if possible, I think it adds to the effect of the solemness of the occasion. When the military honor guard did Taps for my father the trumpeter was less than 10 yards from the casket and it just wasn't the same.

If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Ouch! That's a terrible thing to happen.:thumbdown:

6. Rushtucky

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The trumpet is often used to play TAPS. Using the 1st and 3rd valve it gives a very good tone. Many military musicians that play TAPS will use the trumpet verse the bugle.

I wholeheartedly invite you to join Bugles Across America. We are in need of buglers. I am playing TAPS this Friday for a fallen Marine in Scottsburg, Indiana.

7. tapsbugler

tapsbugler New Friend

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
  8. Rushtucky

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yes, "Echo" TAPS is sometimes requested and played. This technique is done with two, but preferably three buglers. Each bugler plays a sequence after the first one is played. Very effective and moving.