Taps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Nov 4, 2005.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Am playing taps on Saturday, if I can get through it .As I run through it I'm wondering is it 1st and 2nd valves down? I thought I used to do all down? Also the 3rd tone from the last seems to sound flat? Any advice on how to get this done without passing out, freezing up would be appreciated. ( One year anniversary Dads death) Thanks in advance.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    You might want to check out this site: http://www.tapsbugler.com/
    Every time I've done taps, I've done it open (except for once when I was doing the echo for someone using a B-flat and I only had a C)

-Jimi

PS. Good luck!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've performed Taps hundreds of times and most of those were done open, (Starting note first line G) although I have done it with the first valve too from time to time. (starting note first space F)

I think playing open is your best bet - it's more in tune that way, especially if you compare it to playing with 1&3.

The link that jmichiel has provided shows the "official" way to play it, and the way I learned to play it at the Armed Forces School of Music.

4. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Thanks.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    By the way, I'm sorry to hear about your father - as for getting through it emotionally, I know where you are coming from. When my father passed suddenly in 1997, I opted out of playing Taps at graveside because at the time I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it through the tune. In retrospect, I wish I had done it because the local HS kid they found to do it...well, he butchered it. I'd like to be nicer about it, but he did - he mauled the tune and I will forever regret not doing it properly myself.

Eventually I went back to the cemetery all by myself and played it again, properly this time - it sounds silly, but it was just something I had to do.

Good luck with it. Again, I'm sorry to hear about your father.

6. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I was lucky as Dad got full honors with a Marine Corps bugler so that burden was not there but this has been in the back of my mind since that day, thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to try and remeber to breath and tighten the gut muscles and not the lips.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Don't think so much about the performance.
    Think rather of the celebration of your father's life.
    Remembering him and pleasant times with him and you'll do fine.

-cw-

8. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Thanks guys.

9. Norm

Norm New Friend

Sep 22, 2005
    Oregon USA
    I was an Army bugler (playing trumpet) in the 50's, playing in all sorts of weather. As far as TAPS, and probably other calls, if I thought I could hit the top G without any problem, I'd play open fingering. Otherwise I'd use 1/2. No one complained...except for one duty officer who on a New Years Eve didn't appreciate the outdoor free-form midnight Auld Lang Syne I played with a French horn player friend. :bleah:

And which brings to mind the Colonel who complained that the slides of the trombone players playing in parade, weren't moving in unison!! :-P

Norm

10. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Sorry to hear about your Dad's death. I completly empathize with you because I lost my Aunt, with which I was very close with. She died in 1998.

Its been 7 years and its still hard for me to play music that reminds me of her, but I suppose the best way to get through it is to remember the good times and celebrate the good times in your mind.

As for Taps, Ive playd that piece so many times I cant count it. The standard way is to play it will all pistons open, but you can do variations by holding pistons 1 and 2 down through the whole piece. WHich ever you choose Im sure it will be a nice memorial.