Taps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Nov 4, 2005.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    ':oops:' Well, I got through it with only one crack on the 7th or 8th note. Mom was very emotional and I was shaking when finished but it went better than I thought it might. I had thought about it for a year, I wound up using a bugle with the one valve down, I liked that tone the best. Thanks all of you supporters!':shock:'

2. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Sounds as though it was a very emotional thing. I commend you on your courage and performance.

Lets hear it for A.N.A. Mendez

:grouphug: Way to go!

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Nah, lets hear it for you guys that went forward with your trumpet careers. I knew when I was a hotshot trumpet highschool guy that the $ wasn't there for trumpet. Even though I loved it I chose not to pursue that life. I now wish I were you guys, you go out and rip it up or play the music on the page but you were true to your love, your passion. You hung there and ate TV dinners or whatever, you guys are my heros because you stuck with the hard way to go, you hung in there with the cold intsrument that only warms if you play it, if you go the whole distance. I am having an emotional day obviously but I want you guys, you players to know that I wish I was jammin with you, that I would give alot to have what you guys expereience all the time. It's a special thing the trumpet. You are not in the back doing backup stuff to fill in you are the trumpets! It is what is is. I bet you guys don't drive boring cars or marry boring wifes or do boring stuff on the side, I mean trumpet is not a wallflower, blend in thing. Anyway I'm going off but you guys keep screaming, Hit a double something for me next time your'e wailing, I'm with you.....

4. murph66

murph66 New Friend

May 16, 2005
    The dollars dont have to be there to enjoy the trumpet. While I have made money playing, it was never the way I supported myself. It was a sideline, but one that required a lot of preparation.

I've always said that playing the trumpet is a great hobby, but a lousy vocation, at least for most of us. The best way to make a living at playing an instrument, if you are not one of the very best, is probably in the military. I had a chance to discuss this with an E-7 trumpet player at the Armed Forces School of Music about 20 years ago. He had a friend playing with the Harry James Orchestra and was comparing his income and expenses to his own in the Army. Financially, the Army guy was doing much better when all the benefits the military provides were considered. Of course you may get shot at occasionally and most of your audiences may have considerable firepower, but you cant have everything.