Taps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stchasking, Jan 31, 2007.

1. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Here is a link I found on Youtube that plays taps correctly. Straight eighth notes in the middle. This is good for all branches of the military services except the Marines.

The Marines use dotted eighth notes throughout. It is different because the Marines want it that way.

It is best to find out for which branch of the military service you are performing and play accordingly.

This version is a little slow but so well done in tone color I thought I would post it.

Taps is at the end of the video. If it doesn't work cut and paste the v=kxws-q08f7q after you get into youtube. In other words, mess with the url and you'll get it to work.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KXwS-Q08f7Q

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    So, Taps was nice... but on a different note, there are some pretty cool pictures in that slide....

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I agree. The photos are from Navy sources and one is a popular post card. The opening with "To the Colors" is pretty inspirational.

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I never really paid attention to the eighth/dotted eighth difference until a few weeks ago when I played it in studio class. It's interesting that different branches of the millitary want it different ways.

-Jimi

5. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    What makes it even more interesting is that the Army, Navy and Marines are all taught to play it with straight eighths at the School of Music, which they attend together. I guess once the Marines get out to their bands, they have the players change it from what the doctrine at the school is teaching.