Taps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Yesterday I played Taps at the Gustine National Cemetery for my Parents Veterans day Motorcycle run. There were 170 Motorcycles and over 220 people. Many of the Members were a part of the military prior to this, and many of them greatly appriciated it. I played out towards the reflection pool, and the monument for the Unknown Soldier. My sound echo'd into the hills and really brought tears to the eyes of many. I also played the Solo From American Elegy at the Castle Air Base in Atwater. There was a person there doing interviews for the newspaper since this is such a big run. The photographer took many pictures of me before, while, and after I was done playing. She then asked me my name, how Old I was, and how long I have been playing.

Many of the Bikers thanked me afterwards, saying that they really appriciated me playing for them. They said it really meant alot and that What I had was special. A few of them were even trumpet players and said keep it up, you'll get where you want to be, no doubt. It was really an amazing experience.

2. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Great, any experience like that does wonders for your confidence and helps you out a lot. How did the solo piece go?

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    So, Veterans' day is in March in your part of the country? I thought it was November 11. Anyway, sounds like a nice event and a good experience.

4. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    No its not in March. My parents bike group just had a motorcycle run to raise money and gifts and things like that for people over seas. They call it the Veterans Day Run.

The solo piece went really well. It had a lot of echo, and i think It went alot better than when I played it in Concert. I didn't mess up in concert, but the solo sounded alot better yesterday.

5. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Good for you Patric. The solo sounded better because you were doing something nice for people that appreciated it. It's not always about the money or the fame. You did a nice thing and it meant something. That can be a nice reward too. I often play for my uncle's American Legion post when they have their POW Remembrance Day. I've played To The Colors, Taps, and even Amazing Grace. I always get a nice thank you and some compliments from the people involved.
    Bob

6. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Yes... playing for something special, for free, is alot better than playing for money for a few people who don't care.