Taps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Take my solemn word for it, burials in Arlington National Cemetery are attended with the full honors OUR FALLEN deserve. Army Sgt English or his equal will render TAPS as we wish it could be heard live at the funeral of every veteran's or active fallen member of our armed forces, but alas, it isn't.

2. RichardH

RichardH New Friend

Apr 12, 2010
    Black Hills of Wyoming
    Hello I'm new on the forum I did post in the Greeting section.

Though this is NOT why I Joined TM, I do mention how I got
    involved with Sounding Taps for veterans and War KIAs in 1986.
    Since it is a current topic I would like to promote a org.
    devoted to Sounding Taps at All Vets Funerals... Its Called
    BAA Bugles Across America

Bugles Across America :: Honoring America's Veterans and their Families

The last funeral I Sounded taps at was 2 weeks ago...

The Gillette News-Record: Today

I would urge those whom would like to help join as well...

[​IMG]

I Just today made arrangements to purchase a Olds Custom based on the recommendation of the "Come Back Kid, an obvious Olds enthusiast.

[​IMG]

I will be using this horn to Honor our Service members and vets

Richard :play:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    What is of vital importance here is the concept of respect. Respect for those who willingly give up their lives for the rest of us - the history of a specific piece of music pales into insignificance in contrast, don't you think.

Of course the following link is interesting

http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/tapsperspective.asp

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If you want to hear a version of Taps that'll pin your ears back, listen (if you can find it) to the Jazz Ambassador's version of this song. Its the best ensemble version of this song I've ever heard.

5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Well stated.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When you have the occasion to be asked to play those 24 notes, there isn't a thought in your head about history ... it's all the homage and respect you play to honor the deceased before you.

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Amen, brother. I do it many times each year.

OLDLOU>>

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi trumpetman41,
    I'm often called upon to play Taps and consider it an honor to play. WSomething I discovered some years ago that you may know but if not, then you may want to try it.
    When asked to play Taps, show up the day before and get an idea of the acoustics, where can the sound be bounced around in a long echo type way.
    In addition to learning where the sound seems to "sound the best" I make sure the people can not see me when I play (I've stood behind trees, in valleys, behind knolls,etc.). I prefer that the sound and not the visible appearance of someone playing the sound to be the major effect.
    Basically, No one sees me and if I get it right, it will be hard for anybody to tell where the sound is coming from due to the echoes. All the morners know is, that it's there.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Markie, my knowing your area as well as I do, the "invisible" may be an option, but I confer with the family spokesperson and proceed however they want. When burials are in a small valley and I can get to the crest of a hill where the sun is to my back and I become only a silhouette becomes appealing to me and I would profile such. Here in the flatlands of eastern NC the natural echo isn't possible and there aren't boulders or thick trees to hide behind. Too, one must be extremely careful of stepping among the edges of the cemetery into the woods as snakes abound here. Need I say I've been bitten twice by Copperheads and once by an Appalachian rattler in your neck of the woods. Thank you, that was my limit! Usually, IME when the time is appropriate I just march off 50 yards, stop, allow the volley salute to be fired (if available) and then begin to play and as each phrase is played turn more and more away 'till as I begin the last note I march further away effecting a fade of the music. As ex-USAF and ex- law enforcement my march and manuerver is with military precision. One advice ... don't be close to the riflemen when they fire ... or as I do, have ear plugs on a discreet cord for removal before you play. I've on occasion heard the piper as I march away.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Markie, my knowing your area as well as I do, the "invisible" may be an option, but I confer with the family spokesperson and proceed however they want. When burials are in a small valley and I can get to the crest of a hill where the sun is to my back and I become only a silhouette becomes appealing to me and I would profile such. Here in the flatlands of eastern NC the natural echo isn't possible and there aren't boulders or thick trees to hide behind. Too, one must be extremely careful of stepping among the edges of the cemetery into the woods as snakes abound here. Need I say I've been bitten twice by Copperheads and once by an Appalachian rattler in your neck of the woods. Thank you, that was my limit! Usually, IME when the time is appropriate I just march off 50 yards, stop, allow the volley salute to be fired (if available) and then begin to play and as each phrase is played turn more and more away 'till as I begin the last note I march further away effecting a fade of the music. As ex-USAF and ex- law enforcement my march and manuerver is with military precision. One advice ... don't be close to the riflemen when they fire ... or as I do, have ear plugs on a discreet cord for removal before you play. I've on occasion heard the piper as I march away.