Taps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Moderator please delete duplicate! So sorry.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I 'somewhat' agree with the previous two postings, but, because the majority of my experience SOUNDING TAPS has been done indoors, I have not had the artistic options mentioned. I do distance myself from the funeral attendants by playing away from the chapel or main sanctuary, so as to somwhat muffle the strident sound of my trumpet. I have been known to use a short cornet with a deep vee cup mouthpiece in small mortuary chapels. I have refused to use a mute in my trumpet because I feel that I can get a much better sound with that ancient cornet. I strive at all times to show the utmost respect for my fallen brother or sister. I dress in black with a white shirt and dark grey tie. I respectfully and politely attempt not to fraternise with the greiving family and friends. I am not there to show off or to make new friends, just to honor the decedant with my service.

OLDLOU>>

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Ed sez:
    I confer with the family spokesperson and proceed however they want.
    -------------
    Good point Ed. Yes, whatever the family wants is the most appropriate.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    oldlou sez:
    I dress in black with a white shirt and dark grey tie. I respectfully and politely attempt not to fraternise with the greiving family and friends. I am not there to show off or to make new friends, just to honor the decedant with my service.
    -----------------------------------
    Absolutley! Well said Oldlou:
    All you young people that are asked to play Taps, follow Oldlou's advice on this. Dress nice, don't bother the grieving and you are not there to show off or make friends.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Because it IS a bugle call, the proper term is to state, 'SOUND TAPS', not play taps. If the trumpeter is requested to 'play' a hymn in addition, then, he/she plays that hymn.

I am sorry if I preach about propriety. I am a retired USMC Lt. Colonel. It is drilled into me to be precise, Sorry.

OLDLOU>>

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    That's okay, Lou. You come by it naturally, then.

And as an aside, Thanks for your service to our Country........Buck

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Just resigned up. Had signed on back in 2005, but never got called upon. Hopefully I'll get to contribute now............Buck:oops:

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO the sounding of TAPS is more traditional among USMC than USAF. In U.S. law enforcement, I've been on base at Quantico more than I ever wanted to be and heard TAPS sounded at the end of day and all vehicular motion stopped. This caused such a back-up and traffic jam emptying on U.S. Route 1 and I-95 that Southbounders in rush hour from government offices in DC during rush hour had some vindictive curses toward USMC.

But when it comes to USMC propriety, I've got to ask why the USMC or the League was not available to sound TAPS for an interrment in Quantico National Cemetery of an ex-Marine and I was asked. Yes, the deceased was also U.S. law enforcement where he was killed on duty (actually died much later from the bullet wound inflicted that was not then removable).

Yes, my older brother soon to be 82 still performs as a rifleman at funerals with the Marine Corp League in the environs of Racine WI, and not 3 years ago I saw him field strip the M-1 Garand and reassemble it faster than I can ... and I went to gunsmithing school and then owned that M1.

Although eligible, I will NOT be buried in a National Cemetery! My marker is already laid in the family plot not 2 1/2 blocks from where I now sit. It is NOT provided by the Government. Yes, it mentions my years of service in USAF but that is all. I've already the commitment of 2 live buglers to sound TAPS and a piper to blow the pipes with Amazing Grace, 2 law enforcement and a retired USAF Major as riflemen. Only my casket will be paid for by the Government, and the rest has been pre-paid as has my wife's arrangements.

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Understand the "sound taps" thing. I've played a few funerals where that was the case. At least in the Army, today, once military honors starts it's:
    3 volleys from the honor guard
    Present Arms
    (Taps is sounded)
    Order Arms
    and normally the honor guard will proceed with the folding of the flag afterward (but not always)

I've played a lot of funerals with Legion or VFW honor guards and they usually say "Sound Taps" or something similar.

10. RichardH

RichardH New Friend

Apr 12, 2010
    Black Hills of Wyoming
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010