Taps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Apr 13, 2010.

1. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Yes, that's a very good link on performing taps properly. I'm surprised how often you hear it performed improperly, especially in the movies. So much so that I suspect people that play it only "by ear" do it wrong at more than a few funerals. By "wrong", I'm primarily referring to the use of straight eighth notes instead of dotted 8th/16ths as referred to in that pdf file.

2. JSB

JSB New Friend

Oct 16, 2008
    Spring Lake, Michigan
    About 40 years ago, when I was a 15 or 16 year old Boy Scout our Scoutmaster received a call from someone at the Boy Scout Council, "Isn't your Troop the one with the bugler who plays at the camporees?" A Scouter in his eighties had died and the family wanted a Boy Scout bugler to play taps at his funeral. So, in full Scout uniform, with respect for the man who had died and his family, I played taps.

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I'd like to do this too, but I don't think we have something like that in the Netherlands....

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When a full official uniformed military detail is present all the funeral honors are presented according to proscribed U.S. Department of Defense regulations. When DOD is derelict in such duty ... civilians must step forward and make do on whatever conditions presents an appropriate alternative. As for a fact, in many locales it is unlawful for a civilian to discharge a firearm within the local boundary with no exception given in such ordinance/law for military funerals ... and indeed my own grave will soon be within 75 feet of a residence (now under construction). Yes, I seriously doubt if any law enforcement officer will enforce such unless a complaint is filed and then the offender(s) will be duly cited and mostly likely have to pay whatever the fine is as proscribed by such ordinance/law.

The command of "Sound Taps" or other voice commands are never heard when there is no designated command of the honors detail. It is not a requirement for funeral directors or religious sources to seek out an honors detail, albeit many will ... the funeral director as then may add such service to his/her bill to the bereaved, and such is NOT compensated by DOD or U.S. Government.

We civilians, too now civilians if we are veterans, do the best we can to provide such honors in lieu of the DOD and U.S. Government deriliction of such duty, and I do not feel we are deserving of any derogatory critique from such sources or by any others, many as may be untrained first timers and perhaps not the best musicians and/or not provided with the quality of instruments in excellent repair as we all know are otherwise utilized by assigned DOD buglers at Arlington National Cemetery.

Sure, I'm not counting the times I've sounded TAPS for the Military, Law Enforcement, and Fire Fighters, nor am I counting the times, that with the assistance of pall bearers I've additionally folded the casket United States flag into the tri-corner and made the presentation to the bereaved spouse or senior family member.

Because it now unlawful for me to wear a USAF uniform to provide such honors, although I served honorably, I DO NOT. I'm not adverse to wearing a black suit and white shirt with subdued tie ... but sometimes I feel that can be too much and deepen the greif. All I do is appear somber and respectful both in appearance and action. Were my suit to be light colored, I may wear a black brassard with it as depending on local tradition, or as similar to what the pall bearers are wearing. Rule of Thumb = Blend! YES, I once wore only a white shirt and dark trousers with an umarked white top garrison cap at the funeral of my former crew chief in Louisiana. Too, at his funeral there was no DOD official presence, but there were 7 former members of our squadron present from 5 other States. His son was the only family member present, but I can only guess at the number of musicians that played in the funeral procession, myself then among them.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ed, I would be remiss since I thanked Lou.

Thank you for your service to our Country........Buck:oops:

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia

7. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    I believe the link given earlier says that this "myth" about how taps was started is just that, a myth. It's been repeated so often, some historians have even put it into print as "fact", but apparently it is not true.

8. RichardH

RichardH New Friend

Apr 12, 2010
    Black Hills of Wyoming
    Everything you need to Know about Taps... From a man whom Does
    Know:

TapsBugler.com

Taps attire, I exchange Hannah for the Trumpet/Bugle at the grave site of course :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  9. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Guys!

I'm bumping this thread because of the impending Memorial Day.

As it happens my wife and I were requested to play "echo taps" for the services this year at Golden Gate National Cemetery, and so I thought I'd better do some research into how it really goes (for example, the straight eighths in the third and fourth bars-- I've always played that wrong in the past! ).

I'm also not sure if it's more appropriate to play it in concert Bb or in G.

I'm open to suggestions!

Thanx!

Guy

10. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Guy Clark:
    It depends on what you want to hear. G makes it sound more bugle like. I like Bb. It also depends on one's chops. I have done it every way and in various keys. Good for you and your wife. Do it YOUR way. After hearing TAPS for Maynard Ferguson, it made all other taps sound a bit empty, but the poor souls in the cemetery won't care, as long as it come from the heart.

Ed