Taps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've always used 1&3 when sounding TAPS, anyone one else use this version?...........Buck:play::dontknow:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes it is a myth, it is still something that if you reflect on the message (and the lyrics) you realize that it isn't the tune, the key or what you wear, it is the spirit of paying honors to those that deserve it. Add a REAL person instead of canned entertainment and THAT brings the experience to its logical fulness.

3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, guys!

Thanx for the discussion! As for the straight eighth vs. dotted eighth/sixteenth thing, I find that if I forget about it, my natural inclination is to do the dotted eighth thing. If that's considered correct, at least for the Marines, I won't worry about it too much. Whatever I do on the "call" my wife will do on the "response", she's that good a musician.

I hope that we will be given instructions at the site as to where they'd like us to stand, and when to play (Presumabably after the three rifle volleys).

I'd hoped to do it on my WWI vintage trench bugle (which I've used for this elsewhere) but it's about 3/4 step high in pitch, so too difficult to match with the echo, so trumpet it will be, I guess!

Thanx guys!

Guy

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    After the three volleys you'll hear the command "PRESENT ARMS". You play after that.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IF, IF, and IF a full DOD type detachment is present will you hear commands. More than 75% of the times I've played TAPS such just wasn't so. Yesterday, they buried an ex-Marine here in our local cemetery and yes, they had such a detachment from the Marine Corp League and a fine live bugler ... but no riflemen ( Town ordinance bans discharge of a firearm within town limits ). The call was "Bugler, Sound TAPS". Indeed, he sounded TAPS on a Kanstul Bb bugle. The grave was about 2/3 rds (approx 150 yards) away from ours and the bugler was standing on the side road near our family graves. The deceased was the husband of my wife's 1st cousin. I attended with ride from her brother.

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    There are several versions of military funerals. Most follow similar procedures, however, if there is a three man detail, two will fold the flag, and the third plays taps. There are also differences between a full body burial and cremation burials.

As a bugler for Bugles Across America, I have been performing Taps almost on a weekly basis for the past couple of months. I merely follow the instructions of the detail commander, and play as instructed.

Last week, I played for a WWII Army Air Corps veteran, who flew in the same air group as the Tuskeegee (sp) Airmen. As I told his son, I have found that all veterans have a story, some funny, some sad, some somber. I am proud to say that I play a part of their story, abeit, at the end.