Tarnish faster??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jim miller, Sep 5, 2009.

1. jim miller

jim miller Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2008
    California
    We have recently moved to the Palm Spring, Ca deseert area. I leave my silver Bach strad on a stand in my practice room. It is still very warm down here--105 deg., so air & fans are mosly on. I notice some tarnish on the finish of the instrument occuring much faster-- we have only been down here 4/5 weeks---could it be temp or air conditioning?? Should a horn always be kept in a case to avoid this situation??? any ideas anyone?? thanks jim

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Yes, a horn will tarnish much faster if left out all the time. Putting a cover over it can help if you just want to leave it out. However, I recommend the case.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tarnish can come from a variety of places. The quality of the air is one very big factor. Any traces of sulphur will cause very rapid tarnishing. I personally believe that the horn belongs in the case or in your hand making music. Dave Monette told me that once and I can vouch for the truth.

If the air in your area has contaminants (pollution), the horn will also tarnish in the case. It won't play any differently so I wouldn't worry about it.