Tarnished Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amr67644, May 17, 2011.

1. amr67644

amr67644 New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    District of Columbia
    I have a silver trumpet and it tarnishes like crazy! I play it almost every day and I polish it whenever I notice it is getting bad but a few days later it is tarnishing again. Several of my friends have silver trumpets too and theirs do not really tarnish at all. Is there anything I can do about mine?

2. JazzyTrumpetplayer

JazzyTrumpetplayer New Friend

Mar 24, 2010
    thats the same with me! But i dont have any friends that have a silver trumpet! :(

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Be sure to store the horn in the case -don't leave sitting out. Tarnish is oxidation. Try to not to handle it except in the areas where you must touch. Some players with super acidic hands have been known to play holding the horn with a cloth -Louis Armstrong always had a hanky and it became his trademark. That is a pain, however. There are some treatment-tarishield I think- that will help reduce/prevent tarnish, but don't use unless others on the forum approve it-I have no experience with it.

Best thing you can do is be sure to wipe your horn off well after every playing session. (Don't forget to occasionally wash the cleaning cloth too -unless you are using a polish cloth which is will be ruined by washing. ). Finally, be sure to wash your hands BEFORE playing. At least starting with no organic oil should help.

Search the web for the aluminum foil meathod of reversing the tarnishing process and do this every month or so when you clean your trumpet. It doesn't wear or remove any silver (like polish does).

4. amr67644

amr67644 New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    District of Columbia
    Part of why I don't understand why it is so bad is that it is ALWAYS in the case when I am not playing it.

And the parts that get tarnished are the parts I do not really touch like the bell and the little crevices and the slides.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. amr67644

amr67644 New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    District of Columbia
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Could I suggest that those with very acidic hands, before touching their instruments that they neutralize them in a rinse of baking soda water and dry them with a paper towel, not the cloth one that was heat dried with a static remover & scented additive.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tarnish is often caused by sulphur in the water or diets with lots of eggs. I had a student once with this problem. I gave them a lacquered horn to try out for a week and kept theirs. No tarnish at my house. A special water filter helped some.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I know some don't like to use silver polish on their horns but when I started using Amway ( and I don't sell it) Silver polish I found the horn stayed cleaner longer.
    If there is a reason I shouldn't use a non-abrasive silver polish I would love to learn why.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sulphur dioxide is the culprit ... it not only accelerates tarnishing of silver, it often stains it. Our environment is laden with it ... down to the the inexpensive copy paper we generate our computer music on or rubber products, raw woods, unencapsulated sheet rock and those luscious sweet cakes (high egg content). All is extreme as it rots and gives a putrid smell. Tell me in those old hard sided instrument cases that the wood was encapsulated and I'll tell you another fairy tale. Nobody knows what is in our potable water supply especially that delivered to our faucets through the infrastructure of old iron and galvanized piping as leachs iron sulphides and then there is current media comment on the natural gas drilling technique of "fracking" or fracturing the rock strata that contaminates our water wells and other water sources.

Well, we just had all our old water piping replaced from the roadside meter to all the fixtures in our house, but I can visually see the input to the water meter is iron piping thus we too have installed water filters. To do this we had to re-allocate the budget I set aside for my music interests ... well that, and getting my dentures.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh! no! -- I just leave the tarnish on mine -- it gives it character!!!!!