Tarnished Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amr67644, May 17, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If anyone knows chacter, it's kingtrumpet, he IS the best and he IS a character. [Now we get to see if he the best sense of humor]

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I think you should shine it up with whatever your choice of non abrasive silver polish....then here's the trick. Wax the entire horn....yes wax it with a clear polymer
    polish like semichrome or mother's...make sure it says clear polymer. Let the " wax " dry like on your car ( 30 minutes? ) then buff.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    KINGtrumpet often gets off to a slow start but he has an AWESOME sense of humor,ROFLROFL
    YouTube - ‪Michigan J. Frog - Hello, My Baby‬‏

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    When I purchased my double trumpet/flugelhorn case, I found that both instruments (silver plate) tarnished rapidly in spite of my habit of wiping down the horns whenever I put them back in the case. They weren't prone to tarnishing in their respective original cases, and considering the strong chemical smell of the new case, I figured that corrosive materials and adhesives used in the custom case were outgassing, causing the damage. Leaving the case open, allowing time for the vapors to dissipate helped, as did polishing with silver polish, followed by waxing with carnauba wax.

5. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Version 2: If anyone is an authority on this subject, it's KingTrumpet, as his tarnished reputation as a humorist makes him quit the character!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Chemistry 101.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, acid creates a reactive (redox)environment for metal ions to be released from alloys as salts. This is referred to as a "tarnish" process. This reaction is further enhanced by sulfur content which hastens the oxidation process.

2Ag + H2S ----> Ag2S + H2

Therefore, minimizing your expose to sulfur containing substances such as mayonnaise, eggs, mustard, onions, latex, wool, will minimize sulfur's role in corrosion. In addition, amino acids in the perspiration contain sulfur or sulfides (sulfides especially from recently eaten foods that have high sulfer content (onions, garlic) and the presence of sulfur or sulfides accelerates the rate of tarnish. Changes in hormone balance during adolescence or change of life in women further add to the changes in the body chemistry of sweet.

Storing tips for the horn can also help. Ideally silver should be stored in a low-humidity environment. Placing a container of activated charcoal with a piece of chalk in the storage case should to minimize future tarnish from forming.

Hope this helps the discussion - from gmonady your friendly physician/chemist.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Dude -- Mineo50 agreed with ME -- I don't see that poster agreeing with you on any of your humor.

(((Awesome indeed!!! This is one of my all time favorite clips. Thanks![​IMG])))

I feel bad for you maybe this will cheer you upROFL

YouTube - ‪BUGS Bunny - Whats Up Doc‬‏

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh please forgive me Doc Onady (gmonady for all of you blokes down under) -- I must apologize for making light of you and your comments
    perhaps this will make everything all better

YouTube - ‪Woody Woodpecker Laugh‬‏

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know KingTrumpet I only post these comments to get your Looney Tune clips. I grew up on these things man and the bring back great memories. I am sure that explains a lot about my humor too.