TasteeBos

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Liad Bar-EL, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Anybody here heard of them, read their books and heard what they can do?

Scotty, are you there?

Liad Bar-EL

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Liad wrote "Anybody here heard of them, read their books and heard what they can do? "

Response: Yes. No. Yes.

3. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I've heard them, heard OF them, and read their books.
    The Tasteebros have nothing particulary innovative to say, just new ways to try and explain it to you. It's a no bull, straightforward and sometimes hardass way of telling you how to play to gain range. As to why someone NEEDS a triple C, I couldn't say.
    Doesn't mean I don't want one.
    -J

4. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Tastee Bros

A great mixture of very useful things about how to make playing the trumpet "physically" easier, and humor! I have not read their book(s) but "have" read internet posting that Scott Engelbright has made.

I'd never seen Scooter play unil this past Oct in St Louis MO .. at the "Tribute To Maynards Ferguson" show. He played in the MF alumni band the frist set! Amazing! One of the most physically "relaxed" I've ever seen. His "physique" had almost no change from a low C to ... I think he played an A flat (???).

I've spoken with Scooter via e-mail for about 2 years now. Oct was the first time meeting him & his wife Tammy in person. They are truely nice, genuine people. Scott is very quite, and humble but really knows his stuff where it comes to being a lead trumpet player, and his ideas about the physical approach to playing the trumpet.

There is a whole lot more to the "tastee bros" than playing high notes. It's about fun, not getting too "up-tight" ... make playing as easy as possible for your self (no matter if you're in an Orchestra playing on a Bach 1C, or a big band using 'his' tool .. Marcinkiewicz Shew #1). Strive to make playing as easy as possible, and get the best sound you can get for the job you have to do!

Jim Manley ... www.jimmanley.net ... appraoches the physical aspect of trumpet playing in a very similar way. (Jim is my very dear friend and trumpet teacher for the past 4+ years). These very simple concepts of "relaxing" ... "not" working hard ... backing off the "accelerator" ... willl work for a commercial lead trumpet player, a tuba player, a French Horn player, a t-bone player ... It works for me, and I've seen work for others too, both commercial & legit players !!!

Pwew, I'm getting a brain cramp ... where were we? ... oh yea ... the ...... www.tasteebros.com ... and ... www.jimmanley.net ... Scoot & Donnys analogies .... no, nothing really new, just a better way of stating what we, as brass players, have heard all along, we just don't relax & let it happen. Manley ... does have some different things to say!

Manley ... it 's not about "high notes" althought he can play plenty (remind me & I'll tell a great "high-note" story from the StL Tribute to MF hang). It's about relaxing, backing off, not working so hard, using less air "not" more to get a bigger sound with less effort. Some of "it" goes opposite some conventional schools of thought, but it works.

Going to take a rest here, and see if this subject matter invites any discussion. If so, perhaps a new subject on the "Tone Production" Forum is in order.

Regards,
    Michael