Taylor Chicago Custom II Satin Gold Plate

Discussion in 'Horns' started by ronald wilk, Jul 31, 2004.

1. ronald wilk

ronald wilk New Friend

Mar 25, 2004
    Florida
    Hi:

I just received the above long awaited horn(Taylor Chicago Custom II in Satin Gold Plate) and after careful inspection am not certain that I have received what I ordered! The finish (in appearance) looks like a cross between raw brass and gold lacquer and although the satin gold plated brass finish photo on Taylor's website leaves much to be desired, it doesn't resemble what I received in any way shape or form. In addition, the horn arrived without lubrication...valves were sticky and hesitant, slides were extremely hard to withdraw and bathing, along with new lubrication, did little to remedy the problem. To compound matters, the finish is scratched in various locations.
    Anyone with a similar experience?

Regards
    Unhappy

2. ronald wilk

ronald wilk New Friend

Mar 25, 2004
    Florida
    Questions answered

Hi:
    In case anyone reads the initial post, I wish to add an addendum:
    It appears that all of the issues mentioned in the initial post are the direct result of the secondary shipper's inefficient shipping department (the company through which I purchased the horn, namely, WWBW). They did, however, offer to make some minor form of restitution.
    A lenghty, informative and friendly conversation with the horn's manufacturer, Andy Taylor, served to clear up any unanswered questions, such as whether the horn was gold plated...it is indeed and the dark color relates to the variability of the plating process itself. It seems that WWBW repacks all their horns for shipping presumably, to allow for insection. Either the inspection process or the fact that the horn was repacked in two plastic bags within which the first valve slide had dislodged and become a free floating projectile, were responsible for the scratched finish.
    Bottom line, the horn is truly a work of art and a joy to play, however, if one were desirous of this fine instrument I would suggest that it be ordered directly from Andy Taylor who ships the horn sealed in bubble wrap surrounded by a wooden crate.