Taylor on ebay

Discussion in 'Horns' started by fatcat, Jun 28, 2004.

1. fatcat

fatcat New Friend

Jun 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41398&item=3733281536&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Did anyone see this/know anything about this trumpet?
    I've never seen a London model before, personally. Then again, I never really looked at any horn other than what a teacher told me was good and pushed towards me until very recently.

It seems to be in decent shape, and the starting bid seems fairly low for a Taylor (I see that there's a reserve), and I was just kind of curious.

PS- First post :D

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

The London model was made prior to the Chicago custom coming into existence (mid 90s). They may have even been around at the same time for a while but is no longer made. I'm not sure of the bore size..the ad says 460 but I'm not sure. I know the Chicago only recently had a 460 bore version available..it may be 470 but I may stand corrected. Just remember the heavier trumpets feel tighter inch for inch..I don't know why, maybe one of the physics experts can help on that one.

I've never played one so can't recommend it but like most Taylor's it's worth a try and bound to be interesting. Looks like condition is OK. Like most Taylors red rot's not a problem..it takes about 50 years to come through all that brass!! :D

Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor

PS I've subsequently had a look for you and found this link. Evidently they were both around at the same time and bore is 460.

http://www.jaztec.com/taylor_trumpets/trumpets.htm

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i dont know anything about this Taylor, but i have played one before at a IAJE conf. they make great horns! they are very easy to play.

4. fatcat

fatcat New Friend

Jun 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks a lot for the info camelbrass.

It seems like a nice horn, but I'm still very wary of spending money on it. Not so much the fact that it's ebay (which I'm not thrilled about), but if I am going to make a new horn purchase I want to be able to play it and a lot of other horns together and pick my favorite, instead of guessing at how it plays and not being able to return it if it doesn't end up being what I'm looking for.

Anyways, I was just interested in the model, because I had never heard of it before and nothing useful came up when I ran it through Google.

Thanks

5. knf jazz cat

knf jazz cat New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    I have a Taylor Chicago (very early Chicago). It's a spectacular horn, beautifully warm sound. Anyway, a little history on the the London model . . .
    The London model preceeded the Chicago, but also continued to be produced for a bit after the Chicago came on the scene. Londons have a .460" bore (they are very very similar to the newer Chicago .460 line). And are a little bit lighter, but not much, than the Chicagos. As far as I've heard, they're excellent playing horns, just like the rest of Andy's stuff.