Taylor Trumpets (a very very brief review)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trpguyy, Feb 20, 2004.

1. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I got the chance to play two Taylors this past week. They are at Roberto's (RIGHT next to Sam Ash) in Manhattan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are one of the few stores in America that have Taylors.
    Taylor Chicago Custom
    [​IMG]
    This horn played much more like a "normal" horn than I imagined. It is not muffled and stuffy like other heavy horns I've played before. It had a nice dark (but not too dark) tone, and EXCELLENT response. My double tongueing had never sounded so clean before. It slots very evenly up to the High E (above high C), and probably slots further, but I was a bit shy at the time and didn't gor for it. It projects well in all registers, with a nice fat tone on the bottom, and gentler in the upper register. It doesn't have a big "bite" up top, but can be pushed either direction (dark or bright). The valves are super fast and very smooth. The finger buttons are titanium, and recess when pushed down. Very nice.

Taylor Pheonix
    [​IMG]
    This horn played extremely similary to the Chicago, but with a different sound. The one I played was copper. It definitely played to both extremes (dark and bright), and screamed more. I don't know if it was because of the copper, the internal mechanics, or the rectangular bell. It reminds me or a hot rod even more in person than in the pictures. The bell is just like a side mirror (very cool looking horn). For those of you wondering, it empties 'spit' just like an other horn does.

Hope this is of use to any of you. If you have any specific questions, ask away. I know I didn't touch on everything.

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

Yes they're both exceptional and I agree that they're not as 'different' to play as some people would have you believe.

I got to play quite a few horns in Andy's factory last year and the Phoenix was my favourite. Its brighter than you expect it to be..evidently it doesn't go through the annealing process that the Chicago horns do. The styling reflects his interest in custom cars.

Glad you enjoyed them.

Regards

Trevor

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    the repair shop across the street from SA and up the stairs usually has a few Taylors.

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Rod Baltimore's shop on 48th street?
    Wilmer

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i don't remember the name, i 'm no good on names since i had my heart attack a few years ago.
    it's across the street from Sam Ash.
    it's next to a street vendor and you walk up about three flights.
    he has a bunch of old horns for sale and a few guys doing repairs.
    he used to have Taylor horns and mouthpieces in the back.
    very nice trumpets but I'm not into heavy anymore.
    i have enough trouble playing, i don't need to sweat holding the dang thing too!

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Who makes Taylor's valve blocks? I was very impressed by the valves on the one I tried (a Chicago, I think), but it was a little too dark for my taste.

It looked really strange with my Bach mouthpiece in that big fat receiver it had.

7. dHoff

dHoff Pianissimo User

Feb 13, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    where the Taylor's are

Rod Baltimore's (now John's) Really named International Woodwind and Brass Center, doesn't have any Taylors in at the moment. Accross the street, and upstairs, next to Sam Ash's Drum Center there's another place. I think they Had a used Taylor there the last time I was in(about 3 months). I cannot remember their name at the moment. International is at 174 W 48th. this place is across and just a little east. 2nd or third floor.

-dHoff

8. jo-rae-me

jo-rae-me New Friend

Apr 9, 2004
    Has anyone tried the Taylor Zeus Cornet?
    Not related to the American Zeus everyone has been arguing about.
    This is the British Cornet by Taylor. (Sorry cant recall his first name).
    Thanks.
    jo-rae-me