Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by trpguyy, Feb 9, 2005.

1. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I got music for the Sleeping Beauty Suite last night, and hurried home to listen to my recording of it. However, the recording I have (BBC Philharmonic) is considerably different. The first movement ends differently, then it skips to the fourth movement. While I realize that this is the "Extended Highlights Recording," what's the explaination for totally different music (after the Piu mosso) in the Introduction)?

What's a good recording of the Suite that I should get?

Thanks!

2. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    There are many, many recordings of "Ballet Suites" by Tchaikovsky, which usually include Swan Lake, the Nutcracker, and/or Sleeping Beauty.

If your recording has "highlights", chances are that most of the music in the standard Suite is included - just in a different order. Suites from Ballets often reorder the music to make it a better "concert" work. For example, the Suites from Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" are totally reshuffled from their order in the ballet.

I think the Suite from Sleeping Beauty goes:
    - Introduction
    - Pas d'Action
    - Panorama
    - Valse
    - Final

Right? If so, I'd bet nearly all of those are on the CD you already have. Keep looking.