teach me.....valve trombone vs. bass trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 28, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I've been wanting a Bass Trumpet for a long time but they are so darn expensive. Now I'm considering a valve trombone but I don't know much about it. Beside size how does it differ from the bass trumpet? Can I get a valve trombone in Bb, and will I be able to play directly from trumpet music?

crow

2. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Just how big is a bass trumpet? I couldn't tell from the picture...

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks guys. I know what they look like. What I really need to know is if the valve trombone is a Bb instrument, and can I read from trumpet music and use the same fingerings as a trumpet?

crow

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Even easier than you might hope: while bass trumpets come in keys other than Bb, the most common form is Bb and the convention is to write for it in treble clef just like a Bb trumpet. It sounds an octave lower than written, but that convention really makes a difference if you're not accustomed to working in bass clef.

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    That's just what I wanted to hear. Now I really can't wait to get one. I think it would add a lot to the band i'm in.

crow

6. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    which one are you getting? Also, I tried valve trombone before and it sounded good and was fun to play. I think it was a Bach or Selmer... well good luck on finding a good valve trombone.:-)

7. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Do they sound the same? Which one is lower pitched?

8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Tenor trombone and bass trumpet are both 9' Bb, but the sound isn't quite the same. The bass trumpet's sound usually isn't as smooth or mellow as a trombone's.

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    The bass trumpet has a longer trumpet style leadpipe and all tthe wraps (bends) are like a trumpet X2. the Valve trombone has a trombone style venturi tube just past the mouthpiece. It's a different blow and timbre.

10. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Like Chopsgone said, the valve trombone has a slightly mellower sound. Neither is lower than the other . . . . both are exactly one octave below a conventional Bb trumpet.