Teacher in the Seattle/Tacoma, WA area?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zalu617, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Zalu617

Zalu617 New Friend

Jul 28, 2009
    Puyallup, WA
    Hey all, long time no post!
    Anyways I've been looking around for a teacher and haven't had much luck. I've asked my band director, but that teacher is all booked up. And I've gotten a couple replies from Craigslist ads, but they seem to be just getting into giving lessons. In short, here's what I'm looking for:

- Near Seattle/Tacoma (I'm in Orting, so hopefully nothing too far)
    - Experienced.

Thanks for all replies in advance. If no actual contacts, can anyone tell me what else I could do to find one?

2. Seaaggie

Seaaggie New Friend

May 3, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I am new to the Seattle area and looking for a private lesson teacher as well. I have recently picked the trumpet back up. I haven't played in over 10 yrs. Still have a decent sound but need to get back into shape.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Guys!

You might talk to other trumpet players in your area. They of all people should know who's around the area and who's good, and for what.

You probably wouldn't want to take lessons from a symphony player if what you need is lessons on jazz improvization. Then, you wouldn't necessarily want a jazzer if you want to work on your symphony chops. Of course, there are people who cross the lines and are just overall good musicians, but they're fewer and farther between.

It also helps if you find a teacher who experienced (and overcame) problems such as you are experiencing.

Check out your local community colleges for playing opportunities. Here in the SF Bay area are many different community colleges bands. I, myself, play in three of them! Here, you'd get playing experience, as well as attention from your section mates. They could also help in finding local teachers who would be the best for your issues.

Hope this is of some use!

Guy

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I know that Al Vizzutti Teaches a UW (I think that is it) in Seattle. Also, Adam Rapa and Tom Marriot are big jazz players in the Seattle area. Go ahead and give one a call.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    How about web cam lessons. I've been teaching all levels for over 30 years with extensive experience in solving playing problems.

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Although a great suggestion Adam is not longer living in the area. If you;re wanting to study improve and Thomas is teaching, man, you owe it to yourself to check that out.

I just left the Seattle area, but I could hook you up with some of there:

There's Charlie Butler, great player.
    For come backers, IMHO you cannot do better than greg Lyons. I worked with him and he got me where I am. He teaches out of Bellevue.

I know that Dennis Haldane, a long time lead player in the area teaches. He has gotten some great results from his students.

Seeing how you;'re farther south, look up Andy Amdahl. A monster player.

7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'll second Dennis Haldane - we gigged together with a couple of bands in the Seattle area, and he's a strong player and a nice guy, and seems to do really well with his students. He primarily plays lead and commercial stuff. Andy is a friend of a friend - haven't personally heard him play, but have heard great things about him and that he's a fabulous jazz soloist. He's a retired Marine Bandsman. Either would be a good choice, but I'm fond of Dennis - I miss playing with him!

8. Seaaggie

Seaaggie New Friend

May 3, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for all the help I now have some choices!