TEACHER/INSTRUCTOR IN OMAHA???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JKYNCL, Oct 13, 2005.

1. JKYNCL

JKYNCL New Friend

Sep 29, 2005
    NEBRASKA
    CAN ANYONE OUT THERE GIVE ME THE NAME OF A TOP NOTCH TRUMPETER IN THE OMAHA NEBRASKA AREA THAT I COULD GET SOME PRIVATE TUTORING FROM?? I TOO AM A JOHNNY COMEBACK LATELY WANNABE TRUMPETER THAT WOULD LIKE TO TRY AND REGAIN MY CHOPS AND TRY AND PICK UP WHERE I LEFT OFF. I KNOW THAT THERE ARE ALSO CYBER TRUMPET LESSONS........DOES THAT WORK AS WELL AS ONE ON ONE??

1964 REYNOLDS CONTEMPORA TRUMPET
    1969 REYNOLDS ARGENTA CORNET

2. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    You might want to check with Mike Thompson at Thompson Music in Elkhorn. He is a tremendous player, and may not be able to give you lessons, but I am sure he could steer you in the right direction.

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    My friend Carl is in the Air Force band out in Omaha.

4. JKYNCL

JKYNCL New Friend

Sep 29, 2005
    NEBRASKA
    VINTAGE BRASS.......THANKS FOR THE LEAD......I WILL CHECK MIKE OUT. I LIVE ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF VALLEY AND HAVE BEEN WANTING TO STOP AT HIS MUSIC STORE ANYHOW.

BIG BAD WOLF.......I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN CONTACTING YOUR FRIEND AT OFFUTT ALSO. HOW DO I CONTACT HIM???????

5. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I highly recommend Chris Hammiel, who plays in the Heartland Band at the AF base in Omaha. His email is <[email protected]>

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If you are willing to drive to Lincoln and can manage to pin him down for a lesson, Dennis Schnieder would probably be a good guy to go to. I know he was teaching at UNL, but I think he's retired now. In any case, he's a nice guy and a great player and I think that he would have a lot to offer you.

I once attended a clinic he gave and he talked about growing up and playing trumpet in McCook, Nebraksa. He said he would run home after school every day, just to practice his trumpet and he practiced 3+ hours every day. My guess is that his approach to teaching might have a lot to do with simply putting in a lot of time in the practice room. :D

Another tidbit that came out of the clinic he gave. At the end of it, he played the Goedicke "Concert Etude" at about Warp 10, but light and clean, and he didn't miss so much as one single note. Not even a chip or a scuff - it's the cleanest I have EVER heard it played and I've heard it a bunch.

7. JKYNCL

JKYNCL New Friend

Sep 29, 2005
    NEBRASKA
    THANKS ALL FOR THE INPUT....... I HAVE SOMETHING TO GO ON NOW.

8. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    I myself am from Nebraska!! I just moved to do my MM in Pennsylvania.

OMAHA

Mike Thompson - I know Mike pretty well. He's a great player and a great guy to do business with. I'm not sure if he has time teaching, but like before mentioned, could probably point you in the right direction.

Steve Erickson - Principal Trumpet in the Omaha Symphony. Steve is a great player and does some teaching at the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

LINCOLN

Denny Schneider - Retired from UNL. Denny is a legend, and is one of the best teachers I've had the pleasure to work with. I know that he's still teaching. Contact me privately and I can give you his contact info.

Dean Haist - Dean is one of those guys that can do anything, and do it well, whether it be lead trumpet, jazz trumpet, orchestra, solo, brass quintet, ANYTHING! He's one of the most versatile players and probably the busiest players in Nebraska. He's the guy they call in Omaha when a show comes through. I played with Dean in an orchestra quite a bit, and know him quite well. I have his contact info as well. He teaches at Nebraska Wesleyan, in Lincoln.

HASTINGS

I did my undergrad at Hastings College, and studied with Dan Schmidt. Dan has been principal trumpet in Anchorage, Shreveport, and a host of other places, has played with Israel, LA Phil, and Cincinnati (he was in the Air Force, so got around a lot). Dan is a GREAT player, and an incredible teacher. I truly think that maybe other than Denny Schneider, Dan is probably the best teacher in NE. I have his contact info as well!

Louie

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hey, did we forget to mention Dr. Jim Payne in Kearney?

By the way, you guys did know that I grew up in a small town in SW Nebraksa, right? (Town's name is Imperial)

10. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I am from Grand Island. Another great teacher has been left out.

Darryl White is the current professor of trumpet at UNL. I studied with him for five years and learned a great deal from him. He is an extremely versatile player, at home in virtually any situation. He's a student of Cichowicz and is very good at teaching fundamentals and concept of sound. He is a busy man, but does do a few private lessons.

I also echo Louie's comments on Steve Erickson, Dennis Schneider, and Dan Schmidt.