Teacher or no

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Terrizzi, Oct 31, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is NEVER the question whether a teacher should be or not. The question is why some of you think that you know so much before hand that you are willing to risk the formation of bad habits from jump.

Granted, not all teachers are great but a bit of research goes a LONG way to getting a proper start on this not so natural instrument.

2. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    ... should be or should not be what?

I didn't think anyone was advocating that the poster or anyone else ought to learn in isolation. The poster's subject "trumpet or no" seems to question that, but the content of the post indicated that they are interesting in finding a good teacher. I thought the poster was bemoaning his lack of improvement rather than wondering if a teacher would help or not.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    all I know is all that I know. Perhaps a teacher is an acceptable substitute for discipline that people may lack in doing the fundamental skills of the trumpet. However, a poor teacher -- will undoubtedly cause more harm to the trumpet player (embouchure, self discipline, and attitude) than if the player had no teacher.
    And a good teacher may be the difference in true enjoyment of the instrument and success. And finally if you can't learn anything for yourself by watching videos, reading books, or listening to advice --- then a "real" teacher can probably only add limited amount of success to your playing anyhow.
    ps. I wonder who taught Maynard, Doc Severensen, Chet Baker, Cat Anderson, etc. --- Yes they had teachers --- up to a point, but then they took a little initiative, didn't they??

and here comes the opposing views -- and yet this guy was only asking for help on finding a GOOD teacher, wasn't he?