Teacher question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by soloft, Mar 7, 2009.

1. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    I apologize for any toes I might have stepped on and if I came off as sounding a bit full of myself.
    What I meant by a dead stop in my progress is that my musical interpretation and my teacher's are different, and I am not wanting to yield too much more.
    I understand that Russian music and German music are very lyrical. I should have used a better description.
    I guess my musical interpretation comes from the kind of music I played during high school. My director had us play Shostakovich's 5th symphony finale, Ballet Sacra by Hollsinger (sp), and many pieces resembling that.
    Again, not trying to offend anyone with this, but from what I have heard of French music, it tends to be somewhat boring, in my opinion. There are exceptions to every rule though, my favorite solo is the Carnival of Venice.
    Also, I was not trying to find grounds to dismiss my teacher. I was wanting to get opinions of advanced players since I am honestly pretty terrible. Pretty much the only thing I can do well is play high. Reading the responses, I believe I was probably just being immature about this situation and should just suck it up and just do what he says to do.
    Lastly, I feel I offended some people, and I greatly apologize. I will work at taking more possible opinions into account.

Though I never got an answer to this question: what is making it so hard to switch from cornet to trumpet? My cornet is a Bach Strad and my trumpet is a Bach Omega. I practice as much as I can on my trumpet, but it still feels like more work than play. I feel like I can have fun on my cornet, but not on my trumpet.

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    there is no proper answer to your question. The cornet is a smaller instrument so the "hardness in switching" that you may be experiencing might possibly be that you are not filling the trumpet with enough air. Also, the trumpet handles differently than a cornet. You'll just need to spend some extra time in the woodshed to get the switch. Work on your fundamentals and musicality. "Lead" players are a dime a dozen. Believe me, you need more tricks in your hat than high notes.

3. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    soloft I agree with you I like the german and russian music. It just sounds prettier somehow to me

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I'm stressing to my two sons lately, when in a band , or orchestra, you have to play even those songs you don't like, but you must find spirit to play it right, even if you have to pretend your someone else to achieve it. You will never "like" everything you've just been given to play.

And Soloft, I've tripped on a lot of peoples horns on this forum, too, and I've come to respect those whom I have mostly. Your okay, I don't think anyone was offended. The point comes down harder in type rather than words spoken. Type is more condensed, hence, boldly to the point more so than conversation. I.E. the Dear John letter.... !

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Soloft,

One of the "horrible" things about this type of forum is that you don't have a chance to sleep on what you write. With emails, I try and save them as a draft, review them after some time (usually over night if I can) and then hit the SEND button. If you think that you have offended any one of us then an early apology is the go - heaven knows, I've had to make a couple here.

If no-one has been offended, then you are ahead of the game and no harm done, if you have offended, then a quick, well meant apology does wonders. I have reviewed your posts, it doesn't seem offensive to me - but then I'm an Aussie and insults, sarcasm, irony, and direct speaking are all national sports. Be wary of Aussies, taking prisoners is not part of the game - but it is a game nonetheless.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Soloft,
    the basic premise has not changed. You need to seriously look in the mirror before continuing with the trumpet. Playing for fun is not the GOAL of university studies.

If your musical taste is so closed minded that the beauty of french music is not apparent, then grasp that, dig in, find out what is wrong with YOU. Arban, St. Jacome, Debussy, Charlier, Ravel, Thibaud, Bozza, Maurice André and MANY others have/had an agenda that NO trumpet player, classical, studio, jazz or pop can do without.

At university level it is not the job of the teacher to force a student to be something that they don't want to be. It is their job to give you the tools to be the best that you can. Your first and second post are proof to me that you are not interested in the trumpet. I commend your professor for not lowering his standards to appease the egotistical and stubborn.

You are not stepping on our toes, you are simply wasting your time.

As far as the trumpet being tougher, I also went through that. I played cornet in high school and was "forced" to play trumpet in music school and the Army. They are in fact two different animals. The easiest way to "fix" that, is to put the cornet in the case for a year. It is like the ex girlfriend that you see every day on your way to school. The memories prevent you from getting that new fresh start. The trumpet is mental. As much ballast as you have posted here makes me think that you will continue to have a tough time.

Please do not take my post as putting you down. You came here for help, obviously need it and should take it.

Invite your french trumpet teacher over for cheese and wine. Tell him that you are struggling with yourself but really are interested in "fixing" your bad attitude. You may end up with a friend for life.

If you doubt your Omega, ask the teacher to try his horn during a lesson. They are there to help!

7. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    I'm kind of reading between the lines and guessing a lot, but I think you may be talking more about sound and line than articulation (lyrical vs separated). I think people have a tendency to play the big German and Russian repertoire with a very big sound, to the extent that it is forced, and quite vertically -- landing on chords but not moving forward.

This comes from the fact that you imply that German/Russian music isn't pretty. There are (few and far between) times where you shouldn't necessarily be beautiful, but this is only as an effect. Your sound and phrasing should ALWAYS be beautiful and musical. There are differences between styles, but there should be an overriding bel canto lyricism in everything you play. You can modulate this by changing sound and articulation to reflect style, musical intent, etc.

It sounds to me like your teacher is encouraging you to back off your sound so it isn't forced, and add direction to the line rather than playing very vertically (each note being distinct and emphasised rather than part of a line). If you do this, and play a convincing line with a beautiful sound, it will not sound like elevator music (unless it's elevator music you're working on).

You need to record yourself and your teacher, and record yourself playing 'your' interpretation and your teacher's. Wait a few days and listen to them and decide which you like best.

While you're at it, listen to the Shostakovich 5 released by the CSO on iTunes (with Myung-Whun Chung conducting), listen to Prokofiev 5 by Montreal/Dutoit or LSO/MTT, and listen to Mahler 6 by CSO/Haitink. Notice that the trumpet is always beautiful and lyrical even over the most aggressive and passages. Really listen to the way they spin a line with every phrase and not just play notes. And really pay attention to how their sound, no matter how loud it gets, never sounds forced or harsh. And listen to the rest of the orchestra too, because they're awesome.

Stuart