Teacher recommendations in North NJ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jersey Scott, May 4, 2011.

1. Jersey Scott

Jersey Scott New Friend

Apr 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Is this the right part of the forum to ask this question?

I am 45 years old and just starting out with the trumpet. So does anyone know where an appropriate teacher might be in the Northern New Jersey area for a total newbie?

Any suggestions appreciated! :thumbsup:

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I may get beat up for this, but you may want to check your local music stores. A big part of their income usually comes from lessons geared towards beginner students. The prices will probably be reasonable and will let you get comfortable with the instrument and your basics before you start to spend time and money with a more expensive pro.

Alternately you could contact some of the local colleges/universities and ask about lesson offerings. A place like William Paterson has some fantastic trumpet professors who might be able to work with you or maybe recommend some of their better/graduate students.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Bill Tuebner....located in Franklin Lakes, NJ....Great trumpet player and great teacher-does a lot of recording work in the city!

4. Jersey Scott

Jersey Scott New Friend

Apr 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks for your ideas. I really like the idea of seeking out the colleges around here and seeing what's available there. There's got to be folks who are good/qualified teachers. Unfortunately, the music shop in my town closed recently. But I should look beyond my local town and see what non-big box music stores are within reasonable driving range. Thanks again for your ideas.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    (Oh yeah and Bill Tuebner is also a professor at a university, but I can't recall which one at the moment...he may have retired from it though.)

6. Jersey Scott

Jersey Scott New Friend

Apr 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sounds good. I may contact him and see what he thinks about taking me on as a beginner student.