Teachers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Feb 20, 2010.

1. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    :thumbsup:

As I was laying around last night, I thought of a great man. A man that, in my opinion, doesn't get enough shows or recognition. But that, you see, is his own fault. Lucky for me it is, he was my High School Band Director and Trumpet teacher, Ace Martin.

Ace teaches at Douglas Anderson School of the Arts in Jacksonville, Florida and has since 1986. He has taught some top notch musician. For instance, the band Yellow Card, and 2 of the guys from Limp Biskit were all in Ace's Jazz bands. As you would imagine, he has turned out some awesome trumpet players.

I remember going to see Arturo Sandaval when he came to Jacksonville to play. I was very suprised to see Ace playing in the seven person trumpet section. I was even more suprised to see him playing the last seat in the section. Then I saw it, all of the other 6 trumpet players were former students.

I do know if ACE is a member of TM and will have a chance to read this, but if he is Thank You Sir.

I was wondering if any others out there have any stories about the one who made the biggest impact on you getting started

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
  2. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Nice post my friend. I can only hope I am doing a good job for my kids. :-)

TD

3. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    My High School band director wasn't as great of a man. He was an excellent teacher... if you made him look good. In my time in high school i was the best trumpeter in the high school; i was the lead in everything band related and regularly received individual lessons from the teacher. Twice I was selected to play first trumpet in the Rutger's Honors Band (ask if you're interested).

Unfortunately a better trumpet player transferred from another high school. Soon after the teacher discovered this girl's potential my private lessons stopped, I was dropped to second horn, and was not nominated for Rutger's honors band. Now I know there must be a second player, and i know there will always be someone better than me, but i will always be bitter towards my old teacher.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I just needed to vent.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I know the feeling I played seat one in my school orchestra for much of my secondary school career, until the music teacher's little daughter who was smaller than me was given the place so people could see her. As she got older yes she was techincally better (cold fish to listen to) than me, but then I didn't practice as much as I shoud after that. I'm understand the need to vent and also appologise for the thread hijack

Andrew

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi edcon,
    Don't feel alone. I had the worse high school band director on the planet. He hated me with a passion since he played trumpet and I could smoke him even on a bad day.
    He was a jerk and every since I became an adult I recommend to parents to NEVER send your kid to this guy(who atill gives private lessons).
    Give you an idea of what a jerk he was. A girl (who inher own words wasn't very attractive) played in the marching band and for four years could not get in the jazz band. This hurt her feeling alot since she knew it wasn't her skills as a player that kept her out of jazz band.
    After high school, she then went to college where she was quickly picked up by The Glen Miller Orchestra where she remained for 10 years and then, after that went on to win two Grammys.
    Not all teachers are created equal. One of my pet peeves on this site is the overarching rule that says a person needs a teacher.
    Let me be the first to correct this.
    What a trumpet player needs is a teacher who knows what the hell they're talking about.
    Most of the band directors in my area can teach a person how to read music. Very few can teach how to play the trumpet correctly.

6. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Let me remond everyone that there is bad in all positions with in society at large.

That being said, you really can't be complaining because you got unseated by better palyers. Welcome to the real world, where pay/position should always be performance based.

If you disagree, go practice your ass off. Challenge and defeat the other player

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Jason sez:
    Welcome to the real world, where pay/position should always be performance based.
    --------
    The key word in this statement is "should". I can show you a ton of women (not to be confused with a one ton woman) that are more than qualified but men often get the position. In the real world, or at least in my world, a lot of getting the gig and moving on up is based on who you know and not so much what you know. Granted, a person needs to have the requisit skills for the job but, with that said, in my world, there is overwhelming evidence that getting ahead is more about who you know and not what you know.
    On a positive note:
    I had a private instructor who was a God send to me. He was hard, demanding, strick, he even made me set up straight when I played. I owe a lot to him and was lucky enough to tell him this before he passed away.

8. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Markie, your post concerns me.

I think we short change the efforts of many people who fought the brave and often deadly fight of equality in the 60s and 70s. These people did what they did so that we could all be judge by our ability not by our social status.

We see the fruits of there labors everytime we turn on the TV. Today we have a black president, the 2nd female secretary of state, and many many female and monority members of government.

So, let's drop the "woe is me" attitudes and go out and earn what we are deserving of, and work on what we are not. That is what these people fought and died for, not for us to keep complaining about not having opportunities because we are female, or a monority, or anything else.

I have never been turned down for a part/position that I was deserving of, just as I have never gotten one that I wasn't. When I've lost out because someone was better than me, it only made me want to insure that that never happened to me again.

Lastly, I am sorry to those who see this subject to be way out of the scope of this venue.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I am struck by how bad the spelling is in this thread. If your attitudes concerning spelling and grammar are anywhere similar to the one you have towards playing music, it is no surprise any of you were unseated by others, or had a less than fulfulling experience.

If you are carrying bitterness towards folks who impacted you in the past, you need to remind yourself that none of us is perfect, and that even doing the best we can we sometimes let others down. This applies to parents, teachers, friends, lovers, section mates, and everyone else. Sure, go ahead and vent if that helps you to move past your stuckness, but vent or not, eventually you need to let it go and take responsiblity for yourself. This is YOUR life. What is done can never be undone. If you got messed up along the way by someone else, whether perceived or in fact, the one who can fix it is you and ONLY you.

Lots of folks have overcome EXTREME adversity to become huge icons of success. Blindness, deafness, debillitating disease, paralyziing injury, hunger and poverty, imprisonment and torture - you name it - as obstacles they have all been overcome by other mere human beings like us. If you won't be held back, then you won't, period.

Many wrongs have been perpetrated on us by others: by design, by lack of design, and by accident. But if those wrongs become impediments in our path to growth, maturity, and success, we have only ourselves to blame. Look in the mirror and see who is in charge of your life.

This thread began with a post about gratitude. So let's focus on the good, and discard the rest.

veery

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Jason,
    You said "So, let's drop the "woe is me" attitudes and go out and earn"
    -------
    You're absolutley right. My bad. I had momentary fashback to my high school band director............... I'm better now, Thank you.