Teachers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    I was wondering if I should get a regular teacher for the trumpet. I have been plagued by band directers that know very little about trumpets or other brass instruments. Our weekly leason material is basicly just reviewing band music. Is it worth the money for a reguar teacher or shouls I just get a few lessons every once in a while? I am a freshman in high school.

2. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    It is very worth it if you find the right teacher.

3. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    How do I find "a right"teacher?

4. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Your local college or university might be of help to you. Good luck!

5. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Good idea! I somewhat by cornell

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Any teacher that teaches at a college is a great investment. Then you really have an idea of what mature musicians are looking for. If you're feeling a little cheaper, you can always find a graduate student to help you instead. They're usually capable, if not as experienced.

7. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Would it not indeed depend on how serious you are about the trumpet or cornet, more to the point how much do you enjoy playing the horn, and yes get a teacher if serious
    Another option for you maybe is to join a local Brass band where I am sure you would be given great guidance nothing beats playing in a brass only band with fellow members with similar interests.
    It might not be your first love but the experiences gain will hold you in good steed for future endeavors.
    I think that the main thing here is keep an open mind and listen, in your post you really haven't explained what makes you think you need a private teacher.

Most of all enjoy what you do :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I second trying to get lessons from a nearby university campus. That is what I did when I was in high school, and the return on that investment has come back in huge dividends! Another suggestion is to try to get lessons from a local music store. I was a teacher at a music store throughout college, and people I taught with were high quality teachers as well. But yes, do get a teacher and lessons ARE weekly, RIGHT!

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yeah, lessons are really something I wish I had before...

I played for 6 years before having a single one (this is my seventh) -- you have no IDEA of the trial and error you'll go through in that time. Somehow I managed to get lead trumpet in my jazz band, and I didn't even have good breath control! The amount of improvements I've made in the few months I've gotten lessons for is enormous.

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I thought the same thing about my head band director for a long time, turns out he is amazing, always remember that they got to that position after maybe 6 or 7 years in jr high and high school plus a minimum of 4 years of college.

That being said private lessons are a good route if you are serious, they did wonders for me. Band directors rarely have time for individual attention to make you a better player, as you have said, its all about making their music better, its their job.